please help identify insert nests in soil

Around here (northeast Ohio) we call them yellow Jackets. They are a type of wasp and will sting if provoked. They generally nest in the ground. Google yellow jacket wasps to confirm this what you have.

If you want to get rid of them you can use wasp and hornet spray (the kind that sprays a long stream) and saturate the nest openings from far away. Do it in the late evening or early morning when they are in the nest an not too active. Be prepared to run. The spray will knock down any wasps you hit directly, but may take several days to kill all the wasps.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says... :) In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a :) hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and :) yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than :) an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places :) buzzing with activities). :) :) Any idea what this insect is? :) :)

The arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of :) those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's :) kind of blurry. :) They are called "Digger Bees" each hole is a separate nest. Mostly harmless, but if they are stepped on the female will sting...males will be buzzing about fighting each other to mate but have no stinger. Keeping the area wet is supposed to be a way to chase them away.

Reply to
Lar

In a shrub area, I found about ten sand mounds about 1-inch diameter with a hole in the center about 5-mm. I also notice bee-like insects with black and yellow stripes flying into the holes. They are about 1-cm long, smaller than an average bee. Plus, the nest looks nothing like a bee nest (on high places buzzing with activities).

Any idea what this insect is?

arrows point to the mounds and in the middle of the red circle is one of those bugs hovering in the air -- please click on "original" to see it; it's kind of blurry.

Reply to
peter

"peter" wrote in news:IUhDe.35561$Tx1.6639@trnddc03:

Yellow jackets. I usually find the nests in the yard when I mow, then I get some real exercise. Unlike bees, they can sting you repeatedly.

Reply to
bc

Yellow Jackets. Should be called 'runner' bees as that is what you will be doing.

My cousin and I were in a golf course/park in West Virginia. We were walking in this sort of ditch/stream that ran through the park. We walked with 1 foot on either side. We walked up on a nest.

Then we ran about 1/2 mile all the way home while they were stinging us the whole way. Probably got 10-15 stings. So you don't have to get rid of them. You can keep them around as personal trainers :)

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Your local or state extension service probably has a website with info for identifying and eliminating the bug. In case they are yellow jackets, I would be sure to stay away from the nest until you know what to do with it. Yellow jackets in Florida have attacked massively and killed a few folks; one was an elderly guy who was stung when his mower disturbed an underground nest. The only stinger, I believe, which will pursue people, so not one to take lightly. Don't know how they are where you live, but massive nests have been found in Florida, both above and in ground. They respond from underground nests just from vibration of someone walking or mowing. This website has some good photos for ID:

Norminn