Plastic tube replaces copper pipe??

I had a professional guy came to install the water softener in my basement, and he installed a bypass so that my backyard doesn't use my soft water. Originally I assumed the guy would have used copper pipe to do the bypass, just like any other pipes in the house (yes, it would be a lot of work because it's not a straight line). However, he used a plastic tube (it's flexible, but it's very hard, not like regular garden hose).. the amazing part is, he used a tool to clamp that plastic tube onto the existing copper pipe with an adapter. This saves the guy a lot of work.. but I haven't seen anything like this before.
My question is: Is this new? Is it safe? possible leaking in long run say 10 years?? I haven't seen Home Depot carries such thing!! Maybe I can take some photo and post them here.
NOSPAM wrote:

http://vanguardpipe.com/vanex.html
Excellent reputation.
Jim
NOSPAM wrote:

by the Culligan man when I first got a WS some 15 years ago. Mine is grey plastic, about 3/4" OD. It is attached to the WS with a screw clamp to a common female garden hose fitting. I replaced the Culligan with a Sears WS about 5 years ago and used the same drain hose, so mine has lasted 15 years so far.

Cross linked polyethylene. It's becoming common around here and seems to work just fine. You might should have a jumper around it to maintain electrical continuity, but otherwise no problems.
Dan
Dan wrote:

plastic.

For folks that make the assumption that a metal pipe is "ground", and use it for that purpose. They are not supposed to do that, but the plumber should account for the possibility (it is code you know) for safety. It prevents that section of pipe becoming energized by contact with electrical, and not tripping a breaker/fuse.
If you have metal plumbing you need to jump around any plastic section, so that it is electrically all one piece, and grounded, bonded, earthed, what ever you want to call it.
John Hines wrote:

water supply pipes to, or from, the WS. The copper supply pipe that goes into the WS, and the copper one coming out of the WS, are connected to each other with a metal grounding clamp between the two.
entire homes, both hot and cold, are now being plumbed with flexible plastic pipe.

Ron wrote:

approved for fresh water. No matter because Home Depot didn't sell it.