Plastic tags

Page 1 of 2
Generic credit card sized (business card sized?) PLAIN sheets of plastic that are either very durable (unlikely to break when flexed) *or* flexible.
Best guess I can come up with is a PVC gutter and a pair of shears? (Hmmm... maybe a grade-school paper cutter might make easier work of it?)
On 2016-04-25 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/blank-credit-cards
--
Froz....

On 4/25/2016 10:40 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not looking for blank credit cards *or* business cards. Rather, pieces of plastic that are *about* that size (easier to suggest an item that conjures a general size in people's minds than to specify a set of various sizes).
Hence the appeal of cutting a PVC gutter to the ACTUAL size(s) that I require (I'm not aware of "generic sheets of PVC material" that I can buy locally; OTOH, I can get a gutter pretty easily!)

I'm not understanding this thread, but if you want plastic tags, you can buy cattle ear tags at any farm supply store. They are numbered and made to be put on the ears of cattle. A screw will hold them to other stuff and they are about the size of a credit card.
I once worked at a hospital doing maintenance and they wanted to label the valves in the boiler room. I bought some of these cattle tags, wired them on the valves and made a chart explaining the purpose of each valve according to the number. It worked great. These tags are very durable too.
Dont know if this helps, or not, because this tread was very poorly explained, but if labelling is desired, this works well. They also come in a variety of colors.
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 1:48:47 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote: ).

How many do you need? I've cut scraps out of a laundry detergent bottle for similar applications. You might have to scrounge your neighbors's recycling bins after dark if you need a lot.
On 4/25/2016 11:38 AM, TimR wrote:

Several dozen. I figured the PVC gutter was about the right amount of "raw material" (considering I would have to discard the "curved" portions)

I'm not sure that's stiff enough -- but it sure would be *tough* enough. Finding a "flat" piece might be problematic (as even the bottoms aren't really flat).
Hmmm... maybe one of the square-ish clear plastic containers (with oversized screw-on lid -- like the containers in which Costco sells cashews) could provide the "raw material"...
And, actually, I think one neighbor uses a brand of coffee that comes in a plastic container that might be suitable.
Thanks!
On 4/25/16 1:48 PM, Don Y wrote:

Maybe, or need thicker ?
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Hobbies-Collecting/Tools-Blades/-030-Clear-Plastic-Sheets/p/97972
On 4/25/2016 11:48 AM, Retired wrote:

I'll guess that 0.030" is pretty flexible (depends on the type of plastic). My library card is about that thickness -- though I suspect stiffer -- and it would be too flimsy.
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 3:35:15 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:

...yet once again, you won't tell us what it's for. You must really enjoy playing that game.
Oren posted for all of us...

Get in line for the FREE circumcisions.
--
Tekkie

On 4/25/16 3:34 PM, Don Y wrote:

How about this then, 1 mm/.039 in thick plexi
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Glass-Crafting/Stands-Accessories/11%22-x-14%22-Plexiglass/p/21918
On 4/25/2016 1:49 PM, Retired wrote:

As I said elsewhere (ItsJoan?), I think lexan would be too brittle/stiff.
Take an old credit card. You can bend, mangle, twist, etc. it with impunity. And, still coerce it back to its original shape.
THICK lexan won't break (without extreme acts of violence) but thin will.
I'm going to go buy a vinyl gutter and have at it with some snips...

What type of snips are you going to use ? tin snips ; household snips; garden snips ... ... any particular colour of vinyl gutter ? Sheeesh. John T.
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:34:54 -0700, Don Y

What is the "top secret" use for these cards?? Might make recomendations a lot easier.
Oren posted for all of us...

You have to open the headers to get them. When you find the correct one and click on it you will be directed to the "vault" over a technically advanced network of electronic wizardry that surpasses the no command to the Klinton server where one will have unlimited funding to feel the Bern.
--
Tekkie

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:28:25 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Plexiglass?
On 4/25/2016 12:22 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I think that would be too brittle (in thin enough sheets to make cutting easy).
I offered "credit cards" as an idea as that's about the "sturdiness" that I need. Yet, cutting a credit card (e.g., in half when it expires) is relatively easy.
Cutting with scissors/shears is easier (and more versatile) than with a "saw"

https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/ear_tags_and_tattoo_supplies/ear_tags/ https://www.valleyvet.com/c/livestock-supplies/ear-tags/feedlot-tags.html
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:28:04 -0700, Don Y

Buy a sheet of Lexan.,
On 4/25/2016 1:28 PM, Don Y wrote:

What's the intended use?
--