plastic or copper plumbing?

Page 1 of 3
A builder I know is offering a choice of plastic or copper plumbing in new home construction. He recommends plastic as he says it is quieter. He charges the same for either one. Anything else to consider?
On 14 Feb 2004, Alan wrote:

It's easier for a typical homeowner to rework/repair down the road. You make your new joints with liquid adhesive, not a torch and solder.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

The builder may also be calling PEX pipe plastic. While that doesn't require soldering, the fittings may be a little specialized.

if there is no difference in price then copper, have them insulate the hot water pipes. It will save you money in the long run.
Good luck with your builder, I hope it is not KB I just told them to stuff it and bought another home.
No plastic is ever as good as copper. All plastics dry out over time.

Do you mean they are wet to start? Polymers fail because of stress cracking, oxidation and crosslinking or plasticizer migration. PVC and CPVC is cheap compared to copper. PEX isn't. Much depends on the quality of your water. BTW anyone can learn to properly sweat a copper connection in 15 minutes.,

On 14 Feb 2004, Curtis wrote:

I'm glad you think so. And even if that were true, let's see them do one that's in a cramped space surrounded by flamable building materials. Give 'em an hour and have the volunteer fire company turned out, just to be ready.
--
TP

I guess I just had a pretty darn good instructor..

Question: In a cramped space, surrunded by flammable materials, wouldn't compression fitting be a better choice?
Alan wrote:

Copper supply lines, plastic or cast iron waste lines. (Cast iron is quieter) I would use plastic for horizontal waste lines and might use cast iron for the waste stack.
Bob

I've seen the plastic lines installed in new construction in our area and have wondered about the ease with which a DIYer can come along later and drive a nail through the lines. The light metal pieces put across the studs won't slow anyone down very much.
I also questioned the local building inspector's office about using the plastic lines for grounding the electrical service. They seemed to think it's OK. (There's a real ground to ground also.)
[zxcvbob: How do you post from the University of Berlin?]
Everett M. Greene wrote:

It's almost as easy to drive a nail through a copper pipe.

You ground the electrical service to the *back side of the meter*, so it should be thick-wall copper tubing or pipe. If the water entrance is plastic, you wouldn't use it as a grounding electrode. You'll have to make some other kind of grounding electrode.

http://news.individual.net /
Best regards, Bob
Alan wrote:

Yeah...what kind of copper? K? L? M?
-- dadiOH _____________________________

This is Turtle.
The choice is your , but here is the way I think.
If you had a Mad Dog out in your front yard and you had to choose between two material of a stick you want to use to go out and beat the hell out of the mad dog with . Copper or Plastic ?
You can picture my choice.
TURTLE

My personal experience includes a house done in 1978 in plastic with no problems. A rental unit in which the plastic elbows were replaced with copper only to have the copper spring a pinhole that brought down a ceiling. TB

I could picture the ASTM standard specifying _that_ test...

Copper supply pipe makes a lousy club. One hit, and the pipe is kinked. Second hit (if you're lucky the pipe hasn't kinked at your fist), you have two shorter pieces of pipe and a pissed off dog.
PEX or PB pipe makes a better weapon. Hint: it won't break.
Iron pipe, on the other hand...
Though, if you had time to sharpen the end of the copper pipe, it might be useful...
Interesting criteria - have you plumbed your house with baseball bats?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

aluminum or wood
--
Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF
all of my base, are belong to you

This is Turtle.
I see you don't do much plumbing do you.
TURTLE

I've seen some copper joints with a greenish ick around them, sometimes culiminating in a 3-dimensional chunk of chalky ick. What is that?