placement of toilet adapter for new tile floor

Bathroom remodeling is progressing. Lights installed. Light/Fan combo installed. Backerboard installed. Drywall on ceiling installed.
Now I have to adjust and move the toilet bowl.
I will be installing ceramic floor tile, approx. 1/4" thick. Allowing for the adhesive which will have almost 1/4" grooves, do I install the toilet flange 1/2" over the rough floor?
Any tricks to get this perfectly level and also the tile around it so the bowl sits flat. Rock and Roll forever....but not on my toilet please!
----------------------------------------------------- Why is it called lipstick if you can still move your lips? -----------------------------------------------------
W9OL, Bill H. in Chicagoland
Forgot to ask. The toilet will be between the vanity and a wall. What is the standard distance the bowl should be from the side wall? I'd like to get as big a vanity as possible but still have ample room.

install
FireBrick wrote:

Absolute minimum of 15" each side (18" is much better).
Jim
Jim, This may sound stupid but.... 18" from centerline of the bowl or from each farthest edge?
If a person is more than 1 yd. wide......
My bowl is 14" wide at farthest point and the tank is ~20". A space 50" for a toilet is bigger than my last cell. :-))

FireBrick wrote:

ROTFLMAO! Measure from the center line. Jim

HAHA! Thanks, I had a hunch it was centerline. And that cell had padding which made the area even smaller. :-)
THere is a minimum distance required by most building codes but I don't know what it is off hand. You could call your local inspection/permits dept to find it out locally for your area.

so the

FireBrick wrote:

Set the flange flush with the floor or just slightly (1/4") above.
Depending on the flange thickness and the amount of clearance *inside* the bowl bottom, it may be OK to just mount the flange on top of the tiles. But if the flange is too high, there may not be enough "squish" room for the wax seal; that will lead to early failure of the seal.
The flange does not have to be perfectly level; the wax makes up for any difference. Be sure the flange is well anchored to the floor.
Jim
The flange can stick up a bit above the finished floor to get a good seal; it can also be somewhat below. Typically the flange sits on the subfloor and is 1/2" thick. This works for most floors.
Thing is, for ceramic tile you should be putting 1/2" plywood underlayment down over the subfloor, then the thinset and tile, unless your subfloor is already 1 1/4" thick. So if you put the flange on top of the underlayment, it will be just fine.
If you don't beef up the floor with the 1/2" plywood, you are risking cracking the tile or the joints due to too much flexing.

install
Your right Charlie, it is a basement concrete floor. And I thought those 1/4" grooves would be compressed.