Placement of Bath Exhaust Fan

I want to replace the cheapo builder's exhaust fan with a higher cfm model. The bathroom is 12 x 12 feet. The toilet is in the NW corner and the shower is in the SE corner. The outer wall is the north side. The current fan is over the toilet. My primary purpose is to exhaust the humid air from the shower. Would it be alright to put the new fan in the middle of the room.

Reply to
Edge

That's where most of the ones I've seen are located. Sounds like a good compromise.

Reply to
trader4

I think the primary concerns would be wiring, ducts and venting...not enough information. Why not just replace the fan with a better model?

Reply to
norminn

+1 on that, if it is a one story the task is simplified, still the area near the edge of the roof is pretty inaccessible. I put one in the center of our main bath, fortunately it has a dormer above it so I could exhaust through a hole in a side wall. It was still a few of the worst hours of my life, maybe if I was 30 and 2/3 my size it might have been easier. I also had to run multiple wires, I picked up a nice stainless unit with light, heat and vent, with a real glass lens at a place that salvages nice homes bulldozed for McMansions.
Reply to
Eric in North TX

Just as important is the air intake and flow across the room. For every cubic foot of air the fan exhausts, it has to suck that into the room. If the fan is near the side of the room near the outside wall, it will draw from under the door and across the room taking anything in its path. The closer you move it to center, the less flow across the other section of the room. Seems like a lot of extra work for possibly less performance. I'd keep the fan on the north side.

Get a Panasonic fan. Very quiet.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, Simply law of physics. I'd locate the fan in the conter of ceiling and you may have to increase the size of exhaust duct. Also noise level. I think Panasonic has good ones.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I like physics problems. After a shower, the top of the 12x12 room is evenly filled with hot humid air. Where to place a hole, using 4 inch ducting, to most efficiently evacuate that air? Similarly, consider a

12x12 tub filled with, say two feet, of water. Where to place a 4 inch hole to drain it the quickest - in the middle or in the corner?
Reply to
Edge

Of course. I'd avoid putting it directly above the shower, though. My question would be what are you going to do with the hole left behind?

Reply to
Phisherman