Pissed off at th thermostat

Page 2 of 3
On 23 Dec 2003 20:08:44 GMT, someone wrote:

ANYTHING "could" fail without warning.
But your thermostat DID NOT.
In fact, it didn't "fail" at all. Neither did it give no warning.
Instead, it warned you that it had a low battery. How long were you planning on going on vacation for? If it was only 2 weeks or so, it probably would have still been saying "low battery" when you got back.
Do you get this hysterical about everything?
BTW, I note that your original post said something like you "had to" go on vacation. Interesting passive aggressiv phrasing. Like to make sure everybody knows you did nothing voluntarily, so therefore nothing could possibly your "fault"?
-v.

The old round reliable one?

You could set a standard thermostat, at a lower temp, so that it would only kick on in the event the main one failed.
It's always a good idea to have someone check up on your house while away. We have someone water the plants and feed the fish once a week. A quick check covers a host of emergency situations. Having trusted neighbors makes a good place to live.
On 23 Dec 2003 16:33:15 GMT, Ignoramus28269

Read the fine print in your insurance too. Some policies require periodic visits while you're away; ours requires one every 24h.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I'd dump that insurance and buy something reasonable. More reasonable insurance isn't sold for your area? Then, there are probably all sorts of idiotic regulations and I would move to a state that has a least some intelligent legislators.

At a higher price? - yes.
It's not so bad to find someone who can look in - we are on good terms with our neighbours. For longer periods, we get someone to stay over - nieces or nephews do it to be on their own for a while. No party disasters so far.

I don't live in a state and I don't think any legislators have dictated the terms of the home insurance I have. YMMV
Mike
That's fine for you, but my summer house is in an area where there are next to no year round residents, probably one year round for every ten to fifteen seasonal places. That makes for on busy, pissed off neighbor in my eyes.

Ahhh, the cottage - hadn't thought of that, since I don't own one. Friends of mine usually pay someone to look in regularly. In one case, a permanent resident on a small road looks after all the houses on the road. Part of walking the dog. It's about a kilometer stretch with a dozen or so lakeside cottages. Such retirees often don't mind the extra few $ a month for an easy task. These are year-round cottages on a road plowed in winter. Where there's a will (and a few $) there's a way. And those $ may be cheaper and more useful than a different insurance policy.
Mike
ignoramus28269@NOSPAM.28269.invalid (Ignoramus28269) wrote in

Sure. Here's the one you want:
http://content.honeywell.com/yourhome/ptc-thermostats/T87.htm
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@visi.com

On 23 Dec 2003 16:33:15 GMT, Ignoramus28269

I could be wrong, but I thought most thermostats stay at a certain temp when the batteries go out...maybe 55....cold yes, but won't break anything.

I have a heat thermostat wired in parallel with the digital thermostat, and a AC thermostat in series with it. This way if the temperature goes above 24C the furnace will shut down (provided it's a control fault), or below 10C the furnace will fire up.
Also, when we go away for more than a few days I shut off the pump, and drain the pressure system. I then throw a couple thick blankets over the pump and pressure tank. Down in the basement, it'd take a couple of weeks to freeze anyways. (Basement is usually the last place to freeze up)
-- Charlie
If you read your house insurance policy, you will most likely find a clause that says you MUST have the house checked at least once every 48 or 72 hours to ensure that there are no leaks and that the heat is still running. If you don't have the house checked by someone, and you cannot prove you did, the insurance company will walk away from you, refusing to pay any claims if there is any damage caused by the things that they say must be checked.

Bull shit. What kind of insurance, $24 a year for a $100,000 house? Than isn't insurance, it is a legal agreement to regulate your life style, and it isn't reasonable. People are away from their houses longer than that on a regular basis.
Eric Tonks wrote:

In most states, homeowner's insurance is regulated and they would not get away with crap like that but perhaps in some state they can....

quietly
started
then
battery
power
Read your policy -- you may find surprises.

Not likely, since read it periodically and just finished reading it. I might be surprised by the way they interpret some phrases. Insurance is primarily for fire and other destruction of the house, theft, and liability. So lots of things are not covered. And, Yes, if you have broken pipes and water ruins the house from freezing, it isn't covered. If you get freezing damage and the house was heated, they will pay. But my policy makes no demands on how often you check on the house, or how long you are gone.
I was surprised by a friend who showed me that the tries on her new Explorer were not covered for road damage (she got a puncture from the a rock and the rock stuck in the tire). Surprised me too that there is no road hazard coverage for the original tires on my truck (3 years old). Cheap, but can't avoid it with new cars. However, I would never buy a tire that didn't have a road hazard warrantee.
Eric Tonks wrote:

Yeah ... and I've been trying to get my wife to buy the line that my not wanting to do the dishes and dust furniture is "an act of God," seeing that no other hetero guy in history has ever been predisposed to do such things. But she ain't biting.
But Lord forbid that there be some big spider on the ceiling that needs squishing or someone has to drag their ass up a ladder to scoop out all the squishy, mucky leaves and whirlygigs out of the gutters wice a year.
Sigh.
AJS.

Here is a tire surprise. If you buy a Chrysler extended warranty..... say for 7 years. You can include a tire option. The tire option only covers original tires.

The same goes for those that insist a trip leaves a house unoccupied and therefore subject to other insurance criteria.
Art Begun wrote:

Ignoramus28269 wrote in message ...

You mean one that will never, ever fail?
I doubt it. Even an old style totally mechanical one which uses no power at all can fail.

The water pipes could if it got cold enough which in turn could have caused them to burst. But shit happens!
What would happen if the fan motor on your furnace failed while you were away instead of the thermostat? Same thing.
JMO
Dan O.