Pipe noise

Hello,

Not sure how to explain this but I have a noise that seems to be coming periodically from the pipes in my house.

Even when there is nothing running, (faucets, toilet, shower, etc...) you can hear water running through the pipes for about 10 seconds. It them seems to come to a screeching halt. The noise seems to be coming from the toilet area. But there is no water anywhere, near the toilet or any other area of the house. We've been in this house for 5 years (house is 25 years old) and we haven't noticed this before.

Although right now it is just a nuisance noise, my concern is that I should be doing something to prevent any damage from happening.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance... John

Reply to
John G

A stopper in one of your toilets is probably not sealing 100%. Allowing a small quantity of water to enter the bowl at a slow rate. After enough water has leaked from the tank into the bowl, the float activates to refill the toilet.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Right. We used to call ours the "Doppleflusher" (double flusher) after a Dopplegeist, a ghost. That's because it used to result in a flush in the middle of the night that we attributed to a mystical occurance.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Could also be the ice maker in the fridge. If you don't have an ice maker, then....never mind!

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

John:

JG> Not sure how to explain this but I have a noise that seems to be coming JG> periodically from the pipes in my house. JG> JG> Even when there is nothing running, (faucets, toilet, shower, etc...) you JG> can hear water running through the pipes for about 10 seconds. It them JG> seems to come to a screeching halt. The noise seems to be coming from the JG> toilet area. But there is no water anywhere, near the toilet or any other JG> area of the house. We've been in this house for 5 years (house is 25 years JG> old) and we haven't noticed this before. JG> JG> Although right now it is just a nuisance noise, my concern is that I should JG> be doing something to prevent any damage from happening.

As the others indicted, probably a leaking toilet. Place some food colouring in the tank; check a little while later to see if any appears in the bowl.

The leak could be as simple as a bit of gunk not allowing the flapper to seal fully, or part of the float assembly is damaged due to age.

  • Solutions = finding the answers. To chemists solutions = things mixed up.
Reply to
barry martin

Just for fun, some time dump a bunch of food coloring into the toilet tank, and DON"T flush the toilet. See if the coloring comes into the bowl.

I'm g uessing you have a slow leak on the toilet flapper, and the toilet has to refil now and again.

Remit $48.50 for consultation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon