Pipe banging, what do I do?

I live in a dorma bungalow and the hot water tank and header tank are in one of the upstairs bedrooms boxed off. When we first moved in 12 months ago the noise from the header tank with the water filling up was quite loud. I fitted a Torbeck side valve and this did the trick, so far so good. Our local water company have put us on a meter for our water supply and after they fitted it outside the pipe into the header tank bangs when the taps are running. They came back and replaced the Torbeck with a normal ball cock valve and it has stopped the banging but we are back to the noisy fill up. I am trying to replace the valve with the Torbeck but no matter what I do I cannot stop the pipe into the header tank (through the Torbeck) banging. Does anyone know how I can make the ball cock valve fill up less noisyly or stop the Torbeck valve banging.
Many thanks for reading this.
remove noreply to reply
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:17:48 -0000, "steve"

foot or so, capped, in in any joints between the tanks. the trapped air in that pipe will soften the water pressure thereby preventing the hammering.