phone repair; dying buttons; hard long press

All my portable phones seem to be dying the same way.

In particular; take my Vtech gigaphone. This phone, like the others in the house, has a large flexible membrane which implements the unit's push buttons. When the phone was new, a soft, quick touch successfully entered the number. Now the keys require a long steady pressure before the phone senses the push.

I opened up one phone and removed the membrane. It has black colored (carbon?) conductive (I think conductive) backing material just under each button When the button is pushed the black areas contact lands on the pwb. I cleaned the unit using just water but it didn't help.

Is there some kind of dielectric paste or conditioner which must be reapplied? Must the carbon contacts be specially rejuvenated with some chemical?

The lands on the pwb are clean.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks.

Reply to
werwer

Cleaning with 91% alcohol and QTip. Don't know if it will fix you up but there isn't anything else you can do. If the conductive area on the button contact is gone the only way to repair is replacement as there is no paste or chemical that will rejuvenate them.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Welcome to the world of disposable electronics. Solve your problem with a new phone. Same thing commonly happens to remote controls for TV, etc. The underlying cause is laying down a poor grade of carbon contact material. If it's durable the resistance is high, and if the resistance is good, then the durability sucks. There are probably nano materials that would work really great but will be only be common when the prices get lower. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I've "fixed" TV remotes wth a similar problem by cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. Sometimes it's worked well, sometimes it has not.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I completely rejuvinated a Panasonic cordless by cleaning the button pad and the circuit board area beneath it with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Both areas had an oily deposit on them. That was 2 years ago and the phone's fine now.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

quoted text -

yes try cleanin it first and if that doesn't work and if you really want to spend your time this way, you can cut small pieces of aluminum foil and glue them onto the inside of the buttons. Or they make copper tape that will work too. untill the tape falls off ... Mark

Reply to
Mark