Phone plug "snot"

Page 1 of 2
This is a weird question I know but it's a weird problem.
We have a bathroom phone outlet and the phone just quit working one day. I had originally thought that it might be a faulty phone since the rest of the phones in the house worked.
Come to find out that when I tested the phone in other outlets it was fine. I pulled the panel off the wall and discovered this "snot" all up inside the plug..similiar to half dried rubber glue (but clear).
This "snot" was causing the phone plug to not make good contact.
Soooo...I replaced the entire outlet, put everything back together and everything worked fine again for several months.
Well, now it's back and I have the same problem.
Does anyone know what's causing this? Humidity? And if so, where is this stretchy glue like substance coming from?
Any telco experts out there? It's just weird. There's nothing else inside the outlet that could be dripping on the plug and besides, this "snot" is *inside* the plug where the 4 wires are exposed.
tks.
max
Max wrote:

Caller ID?

Did this just start happening? Had the phone in the bathroom long?
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
graced this newsgroup with:

the first time it happened, was a couple of years ago after the (new) phone had been in the bathroom about 6 months.
After replacing the outlet, it happened again about a year later.
We've given up at this point and just removed the phone but I'm just curious what could be causing this and where this "snot" could be coming from.
It has a smell very similiar to rubber glue but clear. It also has similar characteristics as rubber glue in that it's pliable.
The best way I can describe it is that it looks like if someone just squirted clear rubber glue into the recepticle and then plugged the phone cord in.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:25:49 -0400, Max wrote:

Odd, maybe some by product of hot showers, bath and hair products. How many females us the bathroom?
graced this newsgroup with:

Just my wife and the bathroom doesn't get particularly steamed up either as the ventillation system is quite good.
We actually use another bathroom for hair "stuff" so there's no hair products used in that bathroom either.
The amount of this snot is also quite a bit. I'd say, about equal to a pencil erasers worth jammed inside the recepticle.
Needless to say, it's nearly impossible to dig enough out to form a good connection with the 4 prongs and phone cord.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:39:13 -0400, Max wrote:

Well that's the oddest thing I've ever heard of. Have you tried a Psychic or Exorcist? Maybe that stuff is Ectoplasm from spiritual manifestation in your bathroom wall.
graced this newsgroup with:

LOL. Another poster said it's goo that is put in the outlet for areas where's there high moisture/humidity to protect, I guess, from corrosion. It's not supposed to cause connectivity problems so I suspect that it may be somewhere else up the line.

Next time, instead of buying a new outlet buy a can of contact cleaner such as http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html or http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/ElectricalCleaners/ecc.asp .
With contact cleaner, duct tape, and nylon cable ties, you can fix anything.

Do you have a son that's going through puberty in the house?
this newsgroup with:

Nope and it's not a public restroom. Just me and my wife and SHE isn't into that kind of mischief.
graced

Is the phone outlet mounted in a regular electrical box in the wall?
Max wrote:

stuff, just concentrate on preventi / removal.
Use a couple of Q tips soaked in rubbing alcohol, about once a week, and keep the damn phone jack clean.
Phone in the bathroom?
Weird.
Long, long , long ago I was in a law firm office in a big downtown highrise in beautiful downtown Detroit. Big, big, big downtown law firm.
They had phones in the mens room.
And a fancy "tone" type paging system in there, to tell partners and / or associates that they had a call (not of nature) that they had to take.
I understand client service, but that is insane.

who talk on cell phones while in the can or standing at the urinal - and they ain't laywers either. Who would want to talk to them, and that has to be the most unpleasant conversation you'd ever had.

Some people carry "multitasking" WAY too far....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Not at all. A phone conversation while on the "throne" turns otherwise wasted time into billable time. Ya gotta think 'bout this like a lia^H^Hawyer.
--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Actually, it's not really that weird. I didn't answer the phone if I was actually..uh..doing certain things but it allowed me to answer the phone if I happened to be in thar area of the house.
Suffice it to say that it's important that I'm available by phone, either cell or landline almost anytime.
The next phone is in the masterbedroom and isn't convienent to get to.

A telephone in a bathroom is also a convenience for those that appreciate added privacy during a conversation.
It also makes for great fun when dispatching tele-marketers: "No, I'm still NOT interested!" followed by holding the handset near the toilet during the flush. HA!
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 08:45:42 -0500, Jim Redelfs

ROFLAO!

That is waterproofing encapsulant, similar to the "icky pic" jelly that is inside "filled" telephone cable.
I carry a couple of such connecting blocks (jacks) on my truck to install in place of a conventional (dry) outlet that has been compromised by moisture.
The phone plug should connect JUST FINE through the stuff. A bathroom location (I have a phone in each of my three bathrooms) is a prime candidate for these "waterproof" jacks due to the high environmental moisture.
Many/most outdoor Standard Network Interface Devices (S/NIDs) use such encapsulant/jelly for the same reason. It's harmless and should be left in place.
That your phone wasn't connecting properly in the bathroom jack is probably due to some OTHER problem, not the jelly. Good luck!
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes