Phone makes terrible sound w/ ans machine

I have my phone and modem in my bedroom, and the answering machine in my kitchen. There are two phone wires entering the house from the phone company's main box (outside). Both are connected together in that box. Each has a standard jack on the end, mounted to the walls.

But, I have a strange problem. When the answering machine answers, I CAN NOT pick up the phone in the bedroom. If I do, I get a loud noise that sounds like a mototboat, and the caller cant understand me. That noise is recorded too. I am forced to unplug the ans. mach.from the phone jack, in order to answer the phone (which means running all over the house, before the caller hangs up).

I replaced the answering machine with my old featureless one, and that did not solve the problem. Even if the modem is disconnected, the problem persists. My only other solution is to plug another phone into the ans. mach. (where it says "To Phone"), and always running to the kitchen to talk on the phone.

There is nothing else connected.

I dont understand this. What could be causing it? Any ideas????

Thanks for all help.

PS. Don't suggest moving the ans. machine. The click wakes me up !!!!

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Check the wiring sounds like the wires, tip and ring are reversed some where. Polarity is important in with phones. An vom meter will help, disconnect the source first.

Reply to
SQLit