phone charger adapter?

I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.
Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

My guess is that there are two basic differences in the two chargers. 1. the physical plug where it fits into the phone. 2. The voltage/ amperage of electricity that the charger produces. This is usually listed on the charger. If the output voltage/amperage match on both chargers, then it may be possible to buy an adapter that converts the plug of the old one to match the new one. If the voltage/amperage don't match, then you'll need to get new chargers that are for that make/model of phone. Rob

i suggest you just buy new chargers, check e bay if you want to save money, or try wall mart....
the verizon store markups must be 5 times cost
bob haller wrote:

Meh!
Battery for my Blackberry: Verizon: $32.50, Ebay miscellaneous seller: $3.50

The only phones and other portable devices I buy in the near future, will ALL have a USB connector for charging This has made standardization of chargers in the house, 2 cars and 5 phones a lot easier.
The first question to ask is, what is the connector to the phone from the power supply ? If it's NOT USB, then the OP is stuck buying separate chargers for house and car. If it's USB, you can buy a standard lighter plug that takes standard USB cords for your car and house You can even charge your phone off your computer,
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:08:21 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

My wall and car plugs all have USB sockets So the ONLY thing I need to worry about is the USB cable Right now only one of my 5 cell phones has a different US (male) cable. But that's because it's an older phone. Also by using my desktop and laptop computers as power sources, we have eliminated the wall sockets as well.
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:08:06 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I only know of one "Mini-B" and one "Micro-B" USB plug. There are others, like the one's that cameras often use but they're not called "Micro-B", AFAIK.
On 09/12/2012 10:08 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:
[snip]

My phone (Motorola Entice) has started displaying "UNAUTHORIZED CHARGER" with most chargers (including PC USB ports), even the one it came with. The only thing that works is an external battery (Scoche).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I used to get a similar message from my old LG-Touch when using some aftermarket chargers.
My Droid 3 doesn't care whose charger I use, except for the really cheap ones that I posted about earlier. Those just messed up my phone by re-booting it, opening apps, etc.
On 9/12/2012 10:05 AM, heathcliff wrote:

one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

You didn't reveal the new phone model for some reason but it might be micro USB . If so that is the standard for newer phones so just get a charger and you are set. Nice part is they are inexpensive and fit all new devices.
On 09/12/12 10:59 am, George wrote:

It was reported that even the new iPhone to be revealed today will have the micro-USB connector rather than the Apple-proprietary one.
Perce

Sink or toilet drop?
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:05:13 AM UTC-4, heathcliff wrote:

Car adaptor for Samsung, I got for, I believe, $9 at Walmart. I think there are adaptors with multiple plugs too.

Others have already suggested that you should buy new chargers and some have suggested eBay or sources other than the phone manufacturer in order to save money.
While I agree with that, let me warn you about some of the choices that are out there. The really cheap ones available on eBay and other sites can be dangerous to your phone.
I once purchased a set of 2 chargers for my Droid 3 for something like $15 on eBay. Each time I'd use either one, the phone would do weird things like re-boot or open apps, etc. It only happened with those 2 cheap chargers.
A friend of mine bought a cheap charger from a different source and it did the same things to his phone. Unfortunately he used his charger one time too many and it turned his phone into a brick. Luckily it was under warranty and Verizon replaced it. I now try to stay in the middle of the road with off-brand chargers. Stay away from the really cheap ones if you value your phone.
I've never seen adaptors. But, the chargers are fairly cheap, online. Many chargers can also be found at Dollar Tree, or Family dollar.
Sorry to hear your phone hit the briney deep. Barnacle's Grave?
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.
Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H
On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:05:13 AM UTC-5, heathcliff wrote:

Chargers at W*Mart are around $15 or $20, looks like that might be the only option. I'll probably check the local dollar store. -- H
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 07:05:13 -0700 (PDT), heathcliff

Go to Dollar General and buy a charger for under $10. They sell them for most phones and have built in adaptors. That's cheaper than screwing around trying to fit some old adaptor, which might be the wrong voltage anyhow. DG has chargers for many brands of phones. Other places sell them too.