Pest control (roaches) indoors - Any store products worth it?

There doesn't seem to be a notable infestation, but I like to keep things in check in my duplex. Since downstairs apartment is currently vacant, I thought I'd do some pest control before next tenant moves in. Do any of the Ortho, Raid, Hot Shot, or other brand pest controls sold at Home Depot, etc, do a worthwhile job, or should I just put the money towards a pro?
Thanks.
doig wrote:

day you go there and sweep up the dead roaches..... good for a month or two in the area where i live...
Boric acid powder has always worked great for me. Spray it behind cabinets.
try that combat,.(I think it is) that comes in a syringe - bait that works great I gave it a try after paying sears $400.00 and watching him use bait in all the out of the way places. WORKS GREAT!

In article <Xns93EA8131D1D87NOSPAMhomecom@
:) in check in my duplex. Since downstairs apartment is currently vacant, I :) thought I'd do some pest control before next tenant moves in. Do any of :) the Ortho, Raid, Hot Shot, or other brand pest controls sold at Home Depot, :) etc, do a worthwhile job, or should I just put the money towards a pro? :) Guessing you are talking about the smaller German roaches rather than the large outdoor roaches that find their way in, as suggested earlier, go with the Combat bait in the syringe. Apply it in the corners of the cabinets, any cracks where the counter top meets the cabinets, etc. If you have ever had an infestation before there will probably be evidence of their frass where they were hiding, so you can tell the areas where to bait.
--
http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/ter_a.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
I've bought several products at www.gardensalive.com and been very pleased with them.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Go with the Boric Acid, it's safe, cheap, easy to use, no oders, non-toxic to humans and pets, and last a long time. Most of the time you can get it at your local dollar store for about $2.00 for a 16oz bottle.
Evan
snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com says... :) Go with the Boric Acid, it's safe, cheap, easy to use, no oders, non-toxic :) to humans and pets, and last a long time. :) It will be more toxic than any of the sprays that might be used..it is cheap and does not go away though.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Know what an Osage Orange tree is? http://www.osagehedgeballs.com/faq.htm
says...

In a notable roachy city (except some people euphemize them as "palmetto bugs" I've kept a roach-free house with strategically placed baits of Max Attack. Whether you'd want to do this in a house with pets or young children begs another question. zemedelec

If you want to use the stuff the pros use without paying for their services, I've been told it's a product called Demon WP. A store in my area sells it to do-it-yourselfers. I've used it for years and had great results. They run an online store at http://www.pestproducts.com/ which is worth a look. For under $20 you can get enough for 4 sprayings.
Tony
snipped-for-privacy@pittarese.com says... :) If you want to use the stuff the pros use without paying for their services, :) I've been told it's a product called Demon WP. A store in my area sells it :) to do-it-yourselfers. I've used it for years and had great results. :) This will be one of the more effective "maintenance" spray you can use. You might go in with friends to cut the cost. Even if you hit all of your baseboards areas, window sills and plumbing areas you probably will use about 1/3 gallon. There is no need to hit total baseboards, just entry ways such as door thresholds, window sills, plumbing area. If you get a WP formula it will show up on dark surfaces (dirty water drying stains)...the EC formula will leave no visible residue, but has a bit of an odor until it dries.
--

http://home.comcast.net/~larflu/owl1.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

The Maxforce roach bait stations also work well, and I've had good luck with boric acid products (RoachPruf is a brand name, just look at the ingredients on any of the powders).
Jeff
Thanks all for the input. I noticed no one suggested using the pro, so I take it I'm alright with the do it yourself stuff. I've gone down in the wee hours to check out the action, and so far I've only encountered two roaches. One was the small kind checking out the closet and wondering where everyone went. The other was a larger one that I think just came in from outside (hopefully) as I had left the door open overnight to cool the place down. I hadn't counted on visitors, and wont be doing that again.
Anyway, the tenants are moving in today and tomorrow, so I wont do a bug bomb. At this point, I may just go with some Raid or Real Kill that I have unless I can make it to the store before they move in. Real busy. Thanks for the help.

Our exterminator for ants used a thick syrup with boric acid which is packaged as Roach Killer at grocery store. Works well for ants.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) Thanks all for the input. I noticed no one suggested using the pro, so I :) take it I'm alright with the do it yourself stuff. I've gone down in the :) :) Using the pro is just using a service such as going and having the oil changed instead of doing it yourself. For what you are wanting, doing it yourself should be a breeze.