pergola support

I want to build a pergola on top of my deck. Instead of using 6x6 posts I'd like to build square columns out of 1x6 treated lumber. I basically want to build a box to support the structure. I believe that this box column will support the weight of the structure, as I have seen these types of columns used to support porches on older homes. Any thoughts on this? TIA JD

Reply to
JD

first tell us the snow load in your area

Reply to
marson

Some of those boxes are wraped around a steel column. Also, older homes used better wood from old growth trees, the 1 x 6 you get today is not as strong as the older wood.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

If you want the look you're after, use 4x4's boxed in by 1x6's. That should give you all the strength you need for a pergola.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Okay, now tell us about wind load. Ever get storms? Thing needs to be tied down, and able to resist racking. If not tied off to house, I'd do metal posts set in concrete, with brackets to catch the beams (about like a carport roof), and then skin it in 5/4 to get the look you want. But that is just me.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

The people who sell wood columns built this way sell them exclusively for interior use and void the warranty if they are used outside. Apparently it is almost impossible to protect the interior of the column from rotting due to weather exposure. Fiberglass columns are recommended for exterior applications.

Unless you are buy> I want to build a pergola on top of my deck. Instead of using 6x6 posts I'd

Reply to
Not

Yes we get an occasional hurricane. So I know all bets are off when that happens. but since it won't have a solid roof I hope the wind will blow through. It will be anchored to the house and will have enough bracing to resist racking. I'll probably notch the top pieces to drop down into the support beams.

Regarding the columns. I plan on reinforcing the deck with some additional support posts on footers. I like the idea about jacketing a 4x4 with 1x6 or

2x6. I just won't be able to manhandle 6x6x10' posts.

I'll do some research on the weight.

Reply to
JD