pergola beam span

I want to build a pergola over my deck and don't want any posts in the middle of the deck. The deck is 22 ft wide and 12 feet deep. Because of the direction of the sun I will span the 12 ft depth. The 4 beams would be supporting 2x8 joists probably 24" oc that support 2x6 or 1x6 top pieces 12" oc that will shield the deck from the sun. On the "house side" the beams would be supported by columns or a leger board fastened to the brick side of the house. On the "outside of the deck" the beams would be supported by 8" round fiberglass columns. I am planning on using doubled 2x12s for the beams. One reason is for aestetics, but my research has indicated that this will support the weight of the joists and top pieces. I will be using treated southern pine. As added support, I'll be adding support posts under the deck near the major support columns. I'd appreciate your thoughts TIA JD

Reply to
JD

See

Much large span that you are talking. 2x10 carry beam, double 2x8x20' joists 4' OC in some sections.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Might be good, might be terrible. Do you live in south Florida and ignore snow loads or do you live in Syracuse NY with high snow loads? Winds - high or low?

It isn't how strong it is, it's how strong it needs to be.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Snow loads on a pergola?

RicodJour

I live in SE Virginia. No snow loads, but could have a hurricane. JD

Reply to
JD

Use these:

RayV

Depending on the spacing of the lattice elements, you can get snow loads with the snow bridging the gaps. I've also seen a few pergolas topped with glass! (I guess they like the look but not rain/snow,,,)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly