Peel-&-Stick on Old Concrete Question

I have this old house that sits on a slab. The old floor tiles are coming up leaving behind a glue residue. I don't want to spend too much money and would like to see if anyone has any tips for repair.
Should I sand the floor first?
Is there a product or paste that I could use to ensure the peel & stick's stay stuck?
Hints you may have would be greatly appreciated. I could post a photo if it will help.
Feel free to email me direct. Just remove the <nospam> on my email address when sending.
Thanks in advance,
Peel-&-Stick on Old Concrete Question