Paver Base

Do you think field sand would make a good paver base if compacted properly? I cab get 4 yards for $30 delivered whereas the bagged base at Lowes/Depot would be $300+ for enough. General patio use, no heavy traffic or storage. Planning on 20' x 18' x 4" deep. Thx
Yes

Super thanks

of compacted stone as a base with 1" of clean sand on top. Additional clean sand is brushed in to fill the spaces between the pavers. This was the same as we had heard from several other sources. They said that with sand alone the pavers would move too easily.
Marty

the last paver patio I did, we did 2" gravel, 2 to 3 inches of paver base, compactor (rental), pavers, compacted again and then sweep the sand in the cracks 3 or 4 times over a week or so. I should have explained better. I just wanted to avoid the overpriced paver base you buy by the bag for field sand properly compacted.

much, much less expensive than buying it by the bag. Check a real masonary dealer, or a landscape materials dealer.
While you could use sand for the base, the crushed bluestone stays in place much better after months and years of rain and snow.

around here, "processed" stone: quarry run 1/2" stone with stone dust mixed back in. The particle size distribution yields a very solid mass upon compaction that you don't get with uniform size stone alone. They use it by itself for paving parking areas. Should be available from any stone quarry operation.