Patio tiles

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:59:22 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

I use a broom to get rid of debris on my patio. Don't think you'll find tiles that dry any faster than a smooth concrete slab. Without sloping toward a center drain system, best you can do is slope from the center to the edges. You might find certain paver setups shed water more water quickly than tile or concrete. http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/porous_concrete_pavers/example_of_permeable_pavers.htm A bit more expensive and they have to be maintained, but look good. I just use a broom on my concrete patio to push plant debris into the surrounding flower beds unless there's other junk there. Then I use a dust pan or shovel and throw it in the trash. Never hosed it down. Rain washes it anyway..
--Vic

The tiles/pavers can't be more than 1 inch or so thick -- so they don't interfere with an outward-swinging entry door. There must also be a "transition" from the top of the tiles/pavers down to a concrete sidewalk (otherwise, there'd be a tripping-hazard).

"Deck tiles" might be more accurate than "patio tiles".
"gcotterl" wrote

I like the 'rubberized tile' items they've posted but the cost may be quite high. Here's a simpler solution and one you may not have thought of because the industry has changed a lot. Outdoor carpets aren't just fake green grass anymore.
We have one in our 13x11ft sunroom. A nice berber, shades of brown. Heavy rain causes the floor to get wet but everything back there is designed around that. I'm in the hurricane area of east coast.
The screened porch at 13x44ft has the old type fake grass but that piece has been there for close to 20 years now. We just roll both up (every year or so) and take to the backyard to clean underneath then hose the carpets down well and put them back in place once dry.
The rest of the time, we use a vacumn cleaner on them.
The green grass one isn't what you are looking for I know, but I mention it for the longevity. The berber is a high traffic area with cats, kids, 3 dogs, and gets sopping wet at least along the outer edges of the sunroom as much as 6 times a year. A piece of the berber was trimmed and used for the edging on the porch leading out to the sidewalk and gets wet every time it rains (1/2 in direct sun, the rest inside screened porch). The berber is holding up fine, with 4 years of that.
If I were to redo the screened porch carpet, I'd get more of the berber though the faster drying grassy stuff has it's point. I'd change the color though ;-)
On 3/26/2011 12:35 PM, gcotterl wrote:

Never heard of such a thing. Drain-through rubber safety matting for wet areas (like they use in kitchens, and in the man-way at automatic car-washes) would work, but it would look like crap. Available in brick-red and black, never seen any other colors, but they may be out there.
Cheap alternative- flip-flop sandals. Expensive alternative- that epoxy-and-pea-gravel surface treatment like rich people use around their pools. Drains through and drys quickly.
If you do find something, please post a link back here.
--
aem sends...

This stuff is not cheap. It is fantastic. Very comfortable in barefeet.
http://www.safetysurface.net /
We've had this installed on multiple surfaces. Ten years and still in great shape.
--
DanG