Patching the cracks in foundation blocks?

I'd like to keep some of the cold air from getting under the house this winter. I've got a lot of cracks and missing mortar between the blocks used for the foundation of my old house. I'm using mortar mix to fill them and finish them. Is there a better way? This seems like it will work but if there is a better way I'm open to suggestions. I'd buy the stuff in a caulking tube but it's going to take a lot and I'd have to buy out Lowe's to get enough to do the job. I'm using the ready mix mortar.
ZZonka Tonka wrote:

Hi, Expanding spray foam or concrete/masonry sealant? Tony

Umm.... why is your block foundation coming apart?
My old house was built on hand poured cement blocks. The blocks are two halves held together by wire. They are only one block below grade and high clay content soil. You've heard of floating floors? Well I have a floating foundation. I think the old house was built between 1910 and 1920. It is balloon frame construction and had only wood siding, 2x4, lath, plaster for walls. The floors are bouncy, except where I braced them and nothing is square but it's home to me and my three dogs. I'm slapping (and I do mean slapping!) mortar mix on the joints and it seems to be working. So far I've used a 40 lb bag and I'm about done with one side. I stopped the foundation job to put in a much needed new hot water line to the kitchen sink, the old pipe would hardly flow any water and in winter the cold/hot cycles put a lot of rust particles in the water messing up the sink faucet sprayer. Next years project is to replace the roof, probably with some kind of metal roof so I won't have to worry about it again in this life time.