painting stucco

I have a stucco home, and there are mud stains at the bottom. Since we moved in, I have placed gutters and rock along the ground, so the future problem is solved. Now,,, is there a way to clean mud stains off of the stucco? I've scrubbed and scrubbed, and have had zero luck.
If I can't clean it, how does paint hold up on stucco? Will it flake and peal with time like on t-111?
Dave

Paint only to change the color, not to cover up mud. Once stucco is painted you have to maintain it. I wouldn't do it personally. Try a different cleaner or a pressure washer. be careful with the pressure washer. Start out with least agressive tip and work up. You do not want to wash the stucco off your house!
No wrote:

Assuming traditional stucco, not acrylic:
I agree - painting stucco turns it into a maintainence surface and is not a good idea. Also some paints can seal the stucco so it can't 'breathe' which traps moisture on the inside where it can rust the metal lath. You could see if a stucco contractor can spot match the color - probably can. Last resort would be to use what a stucco contractor would use on the whole surface which I believe is pigmented Portland cement. That has the same long life as stucco. Around here it is called redashing. Sounds the same as fogging in RicodJour's post.
bud--
Wash it if it doesnt wash try bleach, if bleach changes its color it is mold.

The other poster had some good ideas, Before you try a power washer try the garden hose.
If the stains are still there then contact a pro for tips for painting stucco in your area. I DO NOT MEAN THE BORG STORES.
Where I live clean and dry is fine for painting, but I can not see your situation. Then depending on the situation, a primer coat then two coats of paint. Stucco even with the best Dunn-Edwards paint, ( what my last home was done with) first time painted it will last for 5-7 years, second time painted 8-10 years. Some new home now days look like zebras in 2-3 years.
Stucco can be done with a roller, I prefer my airless. Blending in, matching sun bleached paint is a challenge.
dave wrote:

What did you scrub and scrub with? Is it traditional cement based stucco or an acrylic stucco system?
If you haven't tried some TSP in hot water, you should. If it's just dirt that's splashed up you shouldn't have to scrub the hell out of it. Brush the stuff on, let it sit, brush some more on and rinse.
A pressure washer will take off everything you want, and unless you're careful and using the right tip, pressure and distance, it'll take off stuff you don't want to take off. Like the surface.
Since you're contemplating the possibility of painting, pressure washing shouldn't be viewed as a last resort so you're allowed to gouge the surface. Those gouges will show through the paint. Start easy and work your way up.
Paint holds well on stucco and you'll get longer life from it if the surface preparation is thorough and there's no moisture getting behind the stucco/paint from gutters and other penetrations.
You may want to look into fogging, which is basically sprayed stucco. It's what they do when they want to change the color of stucco but not have the maintenance of painting.
You may want to look into just painting or fogging the lower foot or foot and a half of the building a darker color that won't show the splash marks as much. If the accent color is worked in with the lines of the foundation it can be done successfully.
you can circle the home with a foot wide gravel bed, that will end dirt splashes