Painting roof shingles

I added on to my house and had to remove a section of shingles about three foot into the existing roof.
The old shingles are a antique gray which are no longer available, I had to use a gray mix shingle which don't match or come close, the old roof is in great shape.
I was thinking of trying to spray the gray mix shingles, (there's too much white in them) to tone them down a bit so the difference in color would not be so noticeable where they meet the old roof.
There is a new galvanize valley separating old from new roof, that helps.
Anyone ever spray or brush shingles to enhance the color.
A complete new roof is in the $5K range and not in the budget.
Thanks Tom
My father inlaw painted his shingles on his roof white to make it cooler then the black. That was 25 years ago and hasn't fowled up yet.
Wow, I bet that took a LOT of paint! Shingles have a LARGE surface area!
| My father inlaw painted his shingles on his roof white to make it cooler then | the black. That was 25 years ago and hasn't fowled up yet.
Well like I said it was some time ago, but I don't rememeber him whining to loudly! lol!
On 20 Oct 2004 00:59:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randd01) wrote:

Thats about the silliest thing I ever heard of. However, 25 years is a long life for shingles. Maybe the paint protected them. I assume it was a latex paint because an oil base would have brought the tar up to the surface.
Good thing it didnt rain after painting them..... That would be a major mess....
Hey it worked! Cooled the house off quite a bit. Yes it was latex.