Painting question? ? ?

Some years ago I painted the interior trim in my house -- baseboards, windows, door facings etc. First with a coat of quality primer, then a semi-gloss latex.

Question: If I use exactly the same semi-gloss paint, do I need to first use a primer or some other dulling solution?

Reply to
Ray

Not in my IMHO.

Use a 000 or 0000 steel wool pad to rub and freshen the surface.. Then clean the trim with a painter tac cloth and then paint with your gloss paint.

YMMV

Reply to
Oren

I recommend that, as well as implementing Oren's suggestions, you clean everything with TSP to remove oils and dirt that might keep the paint from sticking. If you want to be thorough, you can use a liquid deglosser.

Reply to
SteveBell

We repaint a lot of interiors that were previously painted with latex. We just wipe down the old base with a damp cloth to clean off the dust and then paint with new latex. 25+ years, no call backs.

cm

Reply to
cm

"Ray" wrote

You can safely just wash it down with rags, ruff just a bit with sand paper (or steel wool of a fine grit) and repaint. You only have to be fancy if putting latex over oil base.

Reply to
cshenk

On 8/15/2009 9:02 AM cshenk spake thus:

And even in that case it won't be a problem if the oil-based paint is dead flat, either originally flat or de-glossed from years of weathering. (I routinely apply latex paint over oil-based primer, flat.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl