Painting pine with knots

I must have used a crapped out shellac when I sealed the knots prior to painting pine. Can I get away with painting over it with a stain hider or do I need to sand out the knots and reseal with shellac?

Reply to
robson

I dont know how shellac gets "crapped out" to not seal because you use alcohol to thin it, maybe the wood is a bit green and an active knot

Reply to
m Ransley

I think it fails to harden properly after a while. Mixed shellac has a shelf life of about 6 months, but he canned stuff is longer.

To answer the OP, I'd wipe the wood down with alcohol first, then apply the sealer, such as Kilz.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
  1. First coat: Very thinned down shellac, a 1/2 lb. cut.

  1. Coat with boiled linseed oil and wipe dry with rags after a few minutes (e.g. 15 minutes). Some discarded socks are very good for this.

  2. Let dry - depends on weather, anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks.

  1. Two coats of shellac, followed by two applications of furniture wax rubbed in with very fine steel wool.

After almost two years this has been very stable, no bleed through.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Reply to
nospambob