Painting Ceiling Tile

My next project is to paint a large room in our house. The ceiling is covered with a type of fiberboard tile with a finish that is made to look like wood grain. The finish is an off white color, so it looks like the bark on a white birch tree, sort of. The tiles interlock, toungue-and-groove, and are of different lengths and widths, so that it looks like the ceiling is covered with planks.
In one area, the tiles are water stained from when a radiator leaked on the floor above. I don't want to tear down and replace the whole ceiling, so I'd like to paint the ceiling and was thinking of some sort of sealer, like Bullseye White Shellac. Anyone have a better idea?

If it was me, and I just wanted to change the color and make it look better, I would be thinking latex, roller and a pole.
RonB

The OP wants to seal the tiles/planks first to prevent the stains from coming thru the final coat which is likely to be water-based latex. I would use any oil-based paint that approximates the original color, or any oil-based sealer. Choose a finish, gloss, flat, etc, that matches the current finish so that you don't have to give the ceiling a second coat.

Does Zinsser still make that white stain sealer? I hoarded 20-30 cans of the stuff and it still works after being stored badly for over 20 years. Basically a zinc white compound that even seals over redwood bleed through.
On 1/10/2012 4:28 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

use the original oil based kilz, (preferably sprayed), then apply a bright white semi-gloss. IT will be beautiful. BTDT.
--
Steve Barker

I would consider a paint sprayer from the hire shop. You will have to mask surrounding walls etc with tape and newspaper.
And the floor, doors, windows. The fine mist will settle on every thing. Just roll it on as others has suggested. But do tarp the floor. WW