Paintable Wallpaper

We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall. The walls are all structurally sound, no cracks, holes, etc. I would like to have it textured like the other three walls but that would be a lot more trouble and expense than hanging a paintable wallpaper. I could have a bit of visual interest but keep all the walls the same color. I'm not at all familiar with paintable wallpaper. Can it be painted over more than once? Is it any easier/different to remove than "regular" wallpaper? Can I count on it being the same color of the other walls provided I use a primer on the other three walls? Thanks, Monica

Reply to
Monica

The paintable wall paper I have seen most has been used in Europe for a long while. I've only seen it in the US in the past 10 to 15 years. It is a coarse weave, looking a lot like burlap, but it is a paper product. It takes paint well and if primed should not be a different color than a plastered wall. It can be repainted.

Removing is not too difficult except that by painting it you will make it more difficult to wet. Steaming will be an easier way to remove at a later date.

RB

M> We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall.

Reply to
RB

The stuff that is designed to paint over isn't called wallpaper; it has another name. It is heavier and thicker. French name, I believe. Don't know how wise it would be to try to apply on top of wallpaper. My mom painted over wallpaper, years and years ago, when latex paint first came out. The paper started to loosen and come off the wall. Fortunately, by the time the paste had softened, the paint was dry so she could slap it back onto the wall. Kind of like an old Laurel and Hardy movie :o)

Provided the paper was applied properly, it will take paint. I would use a primer first, but I'm reluctant to paint over wallpaper. Would rather take it off. Have you considered removing the paper and applying a paint/glaze finish?

Reply to
NorMinn

Maybe not. I could have a bit

Yes, it will be more difficult to remove. Can I count

Yes.

Reply to
3rd eye

Two brand names come to mind. Lincrusta & Anaglypta.

Read it again.

My

(Sigh) Your mom?

Sounds like you have experience in this area.

Reply to
3rd eye

Years ago, I used to hang "regular" wallpaper professionally, so I can only respond to that part of your questions, but I would imagine the reasoning to be the same for "paintable" wallpaper.

First, wallpaper can be painted over. You would want to prime it first, especially if the paper had a definitive or bold pattern or color. This is generally the preferred route for most people wanting a change. The second option to paper over old wallpaper (see below). In either case, check to make sure you don't have more than 3 layers of pre-existing paper.

Second, wallpaper can be wallpapered over again. In many of the older homes that I have hung paper in, there were layers upon layers upon layers of wallpaper, which I would systemically refuse to remove and/or paper over. Ideally, you do not want to paper over more than 3 layers of existing wallpaper; it becomes too risky and too difficult and patchy to remove. The combined weight of the paper and glue makes it extremely heavy, and three layers are about all you really want to push before damaging the wall.

If you do intend to paper over old wallpaper, I'd suggest adding a little bleach to your glue--that helps keep the mold in check.

Reply to
lounge_lassie

Monica:

M > We're redoing a spare bedroom that has wallpaper and sizing on one wall. M > The walls are all structurally sound, no cracks, holes, etc. I would like M > to have it textured like the other three walls but that would be a lot more M > trouble and expense than hanging a paintable wallpaper. I could have a bit M > of visual interest but keep all the walls the same color. I'm not at all M > familiar with paintable wallpaper. Can it be painted over more than once? M > Is it any easier/different to remove than "regular" wallpaper? Can I count M > on it being the same color of the other walls provided I use a primer on th

M > other three walls?

We've used paintable wallpaper in several areas around the house with no problems. Can be repainted -- the only "problem" is each coat of paint would smooth out the embossing of the wallpaper ever so slightly due to the thickness of the paint (just like when applied to a wall). Removal seems to be just as easy as with regular wallpaper (assuming the surface was properly prepared).

  • "Is this print too dark?" the printer asked boldly.
Reply to
barry martin

clipped

I've had lots of experience with other people's decorating mistakes. I'd rather take the trouble of removing one wall of wallpaper than risk wasting the money, time and effort if the new stuff starts coming off or curling at the corners. Last time I checked, the textured coverings were pretty expensive.

Reply to
NorMinn

Agreed.

I guess it depends on your situation. Budget? Do you want a cheap coverup, or are you doing like this because you 'want' it?

These embossed, paintable wallcoverings look great on ceilings, after a competent faux finisher does thier thing. They can be done to look like the old stamped tin ceilings from 100 years ago.

Last time I checked, the textured coverings

It's relative. Compared to paint?

If you're interested, spend some time browsing here

favorite is this-
It's beautiful stuff. Budget again. YOW. It's not for the average Joe.

I just get a little excitable when a wallcovering thread comes up & folks post about how 'they'd hung their own bathroom, helped their neighbor'..... & 'now they are pros.

This guy/gal cracked me up. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (lounge_lassie) Three layer limit? Add bleach? This person claims to have been a pro? Sheesh.

Reply to
3rd eye