Paint stripping question

I want to repaint our steel entry doors, which presumably were pre-primed 30 years or so ago. Where the later layers have peeled off, the earlier layers still seem to be in good shape, and there is no sign of rust.
Is there any chemical stripper that would be very effective with those more recent (latex?) layers but have little effect on the original primer. I'd rather not strip them down to bare metal and start over if it can be avoided.
I want to repaint our steel entry doors, which presumably were pre-primed when they were new about 30 years ago. Some of the later layers of paint are peeling off, and the underlying layers seem to be in good condition, with no sign of rust.
Is there a chemical paint stripper (or other method) that would be particularly effective at removing these later layers (latex?) but have little effect on the original paint. I'd rather not strip them down to bare metal and start over if I can avoid it.
No suggestions involving a heat gun, please: the insulation is styrofoam.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I don't know of any way to remove latex but not the other. Would be best to scrape and sand the peeling paint, gently, and be ready to use a metal primer right away if metal is exposed when you sand.
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:25:15 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

No. Any stripper will go down to metal. No big deal. Just re-prime with and oil based primer then top coat with your choice of finishes.