Paint over clear finish?

I am looking to paint some cabinet doors. They currently have a clear finish on them (Varnish/poly?) Should I strip or simply paint over the finish?
thanks
bob

You can paint over it, but you should scuff-sand the existing finish to give the primer something to bite onto. Benjamin Moore makes Fresh Start primer that supposedly can be used directly onto semi-gloss finishes and Formica. I'd still sand - belt and suspenders.

finish will appreciate that. Makes the paint a lot easier to strip.
But seriously, short of a chemical conflict that makes the surface self-destruct, a degreased and slightly scuffed finish should hold any good paint.
aem sends....
On 23 May 2007 11:28:24 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

finish. Typically, the best course of action is to sand aggressively, prime with a pigmented shellac primer such as BIN, then top coat as required.