Paint ceilings and walls first or sand and refinish hardwood floor first?

A friend just bought a studio apartment that needs painting and sanding and refinishing of the hardwood floor. Which should be done first. Some friends say do the floor first, otherwise if you paint first the sanding debris and dust will screw up the paint job. Just cover the floor with paper when it's dried.
Other friends say, no, paint first, then do the sanding and refinishing of the floor.
Who is correct?
Dejola wrote:

Paint.
Honestly, I think there are pros and cons either way, but for me, they lean towards paint. I've done it both ways.
I don't see how dust is a problem in either case. You have to clean both the floor and the walls after you sand regardless.
The difference is when you paint, you *will* get paint everywhere. You can cover your floor with drop cloths, but there's always the chance you'll do something stupid like step in a blob of paint on your cloth and then walk on part of the floor that's not covered. I've done that about 10 times since I bought my house.
If you paint before the floor is done, you can get paint all over the place and it doesn't matter. You don't even really need to use a cloth unless you're a really messy painter.
Dejola wrote:

i would do the walls first
in practice a painter is going to be kicking paper around, getting micro splatters on your expensive floor...
now you can take a large bath towel and spin dust the walls in 1 minute... (about from the waist down)
are you "sanding" or "grinding' the floors?
A good floor sander is going to have a dust bag on it A floor grinder is not going to kick up much dust at all
I would do the walls, then finish with a spectacular floor, with zero chance of an uncaring painter, messing up my floor. (tracking grit in, small splatters... etc)
If you are doing the painting then do it first, you are no pro to sugjest using paper only on the floor and are going to trash it.
We just finished re-doing a relatives whole house , (carpets padding pulled, sanded poly'ed and walls and ceiling painted, kitchen etc.). After the hardwood was done every (and I mean every) surface in the house was coated with dust, with some thicker than others. For us it was no contest, sand first, dust all surfaces, then use drop cloths or red rosin paper. Unless the people painting have zero skill, a few paint smears and drops can be tolerated and cleaned versus pontentially comprimising your entire paint job with dust..............Doc Afte Dejola wrote:

If you think painting over dust is OK. I'd have to clean off the dust anyway, so I'd paint first.
Bob
Bob wrote:

I agree
I did a new ceiling for a customer
I sanded the joints but I did not dust the ceiling before I painted
it did leave small burrs here and there, I had to sand them off (nothing major but could be seen).. next time i will dust the ceiling.
dust balls become burrs under new paint.
sosessyithurts wrote:

How often DO you suck balls behind Darlington Elementary, BARRY?
122 E. Shilling Ave Lathrop, CA 95330 US +1.2099829380 (FAX)
he's got more sailor moon stuff than anybody
luuuuvs them little big eyed girls
sick fucker
sosessyithurts wrote:

Nice comeback
Dejola wrote:

I would opt for doing the floor last, as it might be subject to damage during the painting and takes time to cure. Need to be careful either way. Other than bashing the sander into the wall, the worst that should befall the wall is a bit of dust. Dust can be vacuumed off. You don't want paint specks, drips or scratches on a brand new floor. On an older floor, paint drips can more likely be removed without damaging the floor finish.
Dejola wrote:

The friends who will DO the painting are correct but since they will be busy when it is time to paint...
Paint the walls first, the dust from sanding (minimal) needs to be cleaned up anyway. Cleaning paint drips from a newly finished floor is a lot harder than dusting. Cleaning up dust will be no different on a freshly painted wall than on a any other wall. Painted my whole house last year and had the floors done after. Painting goes a lot quicker when you don't have to worry about a drip or two on the floor.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what you do first, though I would recommend painting the walls and window casing first, refinishing the floors second, and painting the baseboard and door casing last. Latex paint will clean up easily off of hardwood floors. If the floor sander gets smashed into the baseboard, at least it won't be freshly painted baseboard. Another plus is that you won't have to mask off freshly painted baseboard, which increases the risk of the tape pulling the paint when you're done.
Any paint from the walls that does get on the floor should get removed during the refinishing process, though care should be taken not to get too much paint on the floor. Cleaning is annoying.
I'd rather set up for the top of a 2-story ceiling only once. So I would dust and paint it in one set-up. Do the floor. Then dust and paint those tough to reach places.