over the range microwave

Hi Group:

I would like to install an OTR microwave, but there is no cabinet above the range. Can it be mounted just to the wall?

thanks

Reply to
anonomous

Hi, I think it comes with mounting kit and template. Also do you have exhaust to outside? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The one we installed in our previous house (Kenmore, perhaps made by Whirlpool) hung on the wall but had to be attached to the cabinet above as well. The GE in our present house is attached to the cabinet above as well, but since we don't have the installation instructions for it (it was here when we moved in), I don't know whether that was a requirement

-- but I suspect so.

MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican in November, the country will still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your elected representatives.

On 10/24/04 12:30 pm anonomous put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

It also mounts to the cabinet. You can probably put some sort of shelf with proper mounting to do the same function as a cabinet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

the cabinet supports the unit...the wall bracket is for holding the bulk of the wieght, but it can't hold the wieght that is at the front...without a cabinet above it would very quickly pull from the wall and fall....there used to be(once upon a time) a bracket that had supports under the unit for mounting without a cabinet above...haven't seen one in years...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

The bracket that attaches to the wall takes the brunt of the weight but you need the cabinet or shelf attachment to keep the microwave from tilting forward and falling off the wall bracket. You'll also need a 110v wall outlet above the microwave to provide power. All of the microwave hoods come with the ability to be either ventless using a charcoal filter or vented outside using piping.

Reply to
Thomas George

Hi,

Not normally. Most of the weight is held by the cabinet above. Mounting plate goes o nthe back wall and the top of the OTR is bolted to the cabinet above.....maybe a good strong shelf could be used.

to install a common over the range microwave

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

==== I have seen metal shelves specifically for OTR microwaves. I believe they attach to the back of the range top. ====

Reply to