Outdoor outlets: how high from ground?

Hey all. I need to install an outdoor outlet on my garage for a pond pump. Anyone know what the National Electrical Code says about how high off the ground an outlet has to be? I'm plainning on installing a weatherproof cover that covers the plugs at all times.
I'm not aware of a height spec in the code. I'd just put it in a location that won't flood

clevelandhts07 wrote:

I don't believe there is a specific height requirement, except that it must be higher than where water might accumulate.
Since this will be a relatively permanent plug-in, the cover would have to be closed against water entry (such as a driving rain) by using a special cover.
Of course, GFCI protecion is needed.
Better ask Clv Hts to be sure :-)
Jim

I'm thinking it's like 12", but can't say for certain. A local library should have a recent copy of the NEC book if you want to be certain. In addition to a weatherproof cover, be sure to use a weatherproof box.
-Felder

(badly needed) outside outlets, they are gonna be 36-42" off the ground, and have a double-ended cleat next to them to belay off the extension cords on.
Seriously- 12" is way too low- you want them out of the splash zone, and not where they will get buried by plants, snow, leaf drifts, etc. You also don't want to have to kneel in mud to use them, since plugging stuff in is usually a 2-handed affair, even with the cord-friendly covers. If I ever hit the lotto and build my dream house, the interior outlets are gonna be at least 24" off the floor.
aem sends....

Hah. The best place for convenience outlets is right under the chair-rail. Note that you should put them closer together, (about every 10') so you can still reach them with a 6' cord from anywhere along the wall.
On 25 Mar 2007 11:18:29 -0700, "clevelandhts07"

This was not defined until the 2005 code. Now you find it in 682.2 where the "datum plane" is defined. Basically equipment must be 2 feet above the highest possible water level in the pond. (some needs to be a foot above that) This article about "bodies of water" is going to really cause some headaches once people really start reading it. This probably affects a lot of things people have been doing "wrong" for years.