outdoor grease lubricant

Page 1 of 3
I had to oil up a latch on a wooden fence gate today and I decided to lubricate the latch mechanism with some wd-40. I was originally thinking of using some petroleum jelly for better longevity but after more thought, I thought this might make matters worst if it absorbs dirt. Am I correct in not using grease or is there a better grease for this outdoor job considering the blistering heat and rain (Texas)?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/26/2012 10:58 PM, Doug wrote:

well first of all, wd40 is not a lubricant. It is merely a water dispersant. (basically kerosene) Go down to your local auto parts store and get some waterproof wheel bearing grease (for boat trailers) and apply with a small brush as needed.
--
Steve Barker
βœ–
WD40 turns to goo when people attempt to use it as a lubricant:(
Vaseline turns to rock as it ages and is NOT A LUBRICANT!!!
I had a customer one time lube the machines I serviced with vasoline, and a bunch of VCRs.
I had to soak the parts he lubed on my machines with gasoline, and the customer ultimately tossed the 20 or so VCRs that had been lubed with vasoline.....
the offender was replaced,
he just didnt get it and probably made the same mistake at his next employeer........
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 27, 8:16 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Over the years I have serviced Ditto Machines that made those purple copies, thermofax machines, that went along with the ditto machines, they made thermal masters, copies, transparencies, and did some laminating. The 3M thermal fax was the machine the idiot tried to lube with vasoline. it turned tto ROCK in the unit, and was a horrible mess to fix.... All it really needed was a bit of light oil.
I have also serviced borg warner system 80 teaching machines, they used a record and a card guide to ask kids questions.. a spattering of av equiptement like overhead projectors
these days I service all brands of roll laminators. its a niche market that few care to bother with. GBC my main cometitor charges over $317 . 00 for the first hours labor within 25 miles of pittsburgh... I charge a fraction of that, although gasoline at 4 bucks a gallon was a killer: (
I still service some 3m thermofax machines for tatoo shops on a rare occasion, parts are hard to find...
ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING ABOUT LUBRICANTS!!! Never mix different types!!!
Mix plain grease and lithium grease creates non lubricating ROCK!!!! its nasty!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Wow, that's quite a varied and extensive experience. Thanks for the comments on mixing lubes. I've used many of the machines you mention.
[...]
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 07:42:29 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Chris, that was one of your best!
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm in NYS, but my choice would have been white lithium grease. Comes in spray cans, for easy apply.
I had to oil up a latch on a wooden fence gate today and I decided to lubricate the latch mechanism with some wd-40. I was originally thinking of using some petroleum jelly for better longevity but after more thought, I thought this might make matters worst if it absorbs dirt. Am I correct in not using grease or is there a better grease for this outdoor job considering the blistering heat and rain (Texas)?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't know what kind of latch this is, but making sure it is properly aligned would surely help. Then wouldn't graphite powder be a good thing?
--
Best regards
Han

I did align it but there is still a little metal on metal rub when you try to open it. It's not that bad but I was hoping to make it perfect so that's why I lubricated it. It's not bad and I should probably let it go because no matter what I do, the posts and hinges will move a bit as the summer goes by and my alignment will be a bit more off then. These type wood gates are notorious for this stuff in Texas weather. Thanks.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd make sure it's aligned properly and then DO NOTHING. Anything applied to the surface will wash off. Lubrication isn't necessary. This stuff doesn't have close tolerances that require it.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I wouldn't think so either but a little graphite may just act to polish the contact area enough to make it go smoothly for quite a while. Then rubbing the lead of a pencil on the rub marks between the contact points is an easy maintenance thing.
--
Best regards
Han

...and it's gone after the first heavy dew. All it's going to do is make a mess. Buy decent hardware and forget it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:07:56 AM UTC-7, Han wrote:

I do not recommend graphite because I have seen graphite wear out joints and close clearances. Now before people start jumping on what I just wrote let me clarify. It is possible that the graphite that I observed may have been the wrong kind of graphite because there is a type of graphite that is considered an abrasive. But the people that I spoke to that have used it said that they bought it from the hardware store as a lubricant. My question would be: How would you know what is inside the container that you buy? I suspect that some people are being sold the wrong kind of graphite in falsely labeled containers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

<snip>
Graphite is one of the softest materials around, so how it could be an abrasive, I don't know. Have any references?
--
Best regards
Han
On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:36:44 AM UTC-7, Han wrote:

Apparently if graphite isn’t pure it may be called amorphous carbon or soot and depending on what the contaminant is it can be also be called a carbide which can be used as an abrasive.
Add pictures here
βœ–
http://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/2673/is-graphite-lubricant-safe-for-metal-parts This was the closest I could find, on the web. Graphite comes in powder, and solid chunks. I've never heard of "abrasive" graphite.
I do not recommend graphite because I have seen graphite wear out joints and close clearances. Now before people start jumping on what I just wrote let me clarify. It is possible that the graphite that I observed may have been the wrong kind of graphite because there is a type of graphite that is considered an abrasive. But the people that I spoke to that have used it said that they bought it from the hardware store as a lubricant. My question would be: How would you know what is inside the container that you buy? I suspect that some people are being sold the wrong kind of graphite in falsely labeled containers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Or a bit of moly grease. Or teflon grease. I'm not a big fan of white lithium - but it would do the job. A good clear syntheric grease would be my first choise.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 06:42:20 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Yeah, that reminds me when I was younger (also in NY then), my dad used to have a can of that stuff around for various uses. Thanks for reminding me !!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Y'welcome. White lith is fun stuff. Not a cure all, but it has uses.