Ouch! cracked Plasma TV front glass

I do when I pay my income tax. There is a line on the form for that.

If it is the smooth front Panasonic it is a second glass screen and you can just remove the broken glass and keep using the TV. That extra glass front sure protects the actual plasma screen!!!. Might not be hard to put a new glass or plexi sheet on yourself either - have not looked closely at mine to see what would be involved.

I tend to agree with new LED. Heck I only have a 40" LCD with HD programming and I love it. Personally I will only consider Samsung tv's.
Doug wrote:

Hmmm, Any one has Sharp LED one?
http://www.brahim.n.nu

Sorry, only 3 Samsungs in our house so far. They replaced the 4 or 5 old ones (Panasonic, Sanyo, Sony, ???). Actually 4 Samsungs if you count my daughter who lives near by of which I own 1/2 of her tv <g>.
Tony Hwang wrote:

No such thing as an LED TV at this point, possibly in the future. Today's options are LCD or plasma basically. LED only refers to the backlighting of the LCD panel. Early LCD panels used fluorescent backlighting, and I don't think very many of those are even made anymore. LED backlighting comes in a number of flavors these days with edge lit being the common less expensive variant. Some LED backlit LCD TVs have the LEDs behind the LCD in an array that is actively controlled to reduce backlight in areas with a darker image to increase the contrast ratio. I think a few high end units even use RGB LEDs similarly to enhance colored areas of the image with matching backlight.

Actually there IS. The Sonly XEL-1 OLED TV was introduced and sold in 2008-2009 in select markets (including Canada). At just under $3.000 for an 11 inch display it was not a big seller - but the picture had fantastic contrast and viewing angle - it's only real problem was primary colour reproduction accuracy

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, limited distribution, insane price, anything but mainstream. If you go looking for a TV in your local electronics retailer today your choices are basically plasma or LED backlit LCD, or DLP based projectors of course.

first as to homeowners insurance......
whats your deductible? if its 5500 bucks you will still be out 500 bucks, and making a claim on your insurane may cost you big time in higher rates. plus the price of big screen tvs have dropped a lot, from costs 3 years ago..
your replacement tv might not cost much more than the deductible.
personally i like the look and less power consumed by LED tvs.
go to say wall mart and some other stores and draw your own conclusions.
obvious typo 500 buck deductible
Tony Hwang wrote:

Just a thought:
Since the TV is trashed anyway, why not clear off a large space on your workbench and disassemble it?
You might find that the front glass is just that: a piece of glass!
If so, you can get a replacement from a glass shop.
I had a 25" LCD monitor go belly up and wash ashore. Checking the web, I found that capacitors for this particular model were flaky. Taking the list from the web site, I bought 11 capacitors (as I recall about six dollars) and, deftly wielding a soldering iron, replaced them. Monitor now works perfectly.
Point is, you can't kill a corpse. I'd invest a couple of hours in a possible cure.
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 7:24:39 AM UTC-5, HeyBub wrote:

I did the same with a 19" and posted the fix on an electronics forum and was chewed on because I used "the wrong type capacitor" for a switching power supply. It is still working after 2+ years! A__holes!
Bob_Villa wrote:

Did you use a green one instead of black? Disk-shaped ceramic instead of tubular?
The world wants to know!
It might be time for an update to your post from two years ago.