OTR (over the range) microwave - vented inside or out?

Page 1 of 2
We just bought a Kenmore OTR microwave, which can either be vented to the outside (ceiling or wall) or vented inside (and use a charcoal filter). It is a new install (no OTR present before)
Which is the better of the two?
1. I hear that with inside venting method, you don't have to worry about wind blowing and making noise, nor about the hassle of running the vent to the outside air (either wall or ceiling). Sounds a lot simpler
2. You would think that the outside method would be more effective in removing smoke and water vapour from cooking. You would also not have to worry about replacing the charcoal filter.
Comments / tips / suggestions / ideas / advice?
Howie
Your comments are valid. If you can easily vent it out side it is better. I would only use the charcoal interior venting as a last resort.
--
Dom Murphy

"Howie" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message

You already know the reasons. Now you have to make a decision. Outside it always better for eliminating odors, excess heat. Depends on how much is involved in venting outside.

the
about
it
To run it outside, I'll have to run the venting up into the about cabinet, then into an inside an interior wall cavity about 24" (can I do this?) to the ceiling. From there, can I run a flexible vinyl tubing to the roof? I am about 35" from an exterior wall. Which is best? (roof or wall)...
Howie
Howie wrote:

Don't EVER use flexible vinyl duct for a kitchen vent, it will be a mess (not to mention that it probably won't be to code). Think of all those nooks and crannies just waiting to catch the greasy moist hot air that will be going up that tube.
Use solid metal duct all the way to the roof, square or round makes no difference. IMHO, if the stove isn't on the outside wall, then go to the roof and keep the turns as few as possible. To answer your question, yeah, you can do what you think. You may need a duct man to custom make some pieces, but they aren't that expensive.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price

To pass code in most areas hood venting needs to be done in metal pipe, no way I would run it in vinyl flex duct! Think range fire, with the fan running. You just helped fan the flames and spread them into the attic! If you can not vent it outside in metal duct, then don't bother! Greg
On 1/9/2005 10:44 PM US(ET), Howie took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

The best way to vent it is like you would vent a countertop microwave. Sure, you will have to live with the popcorn smell for a couple of hours longer, but you'll save all that unnecessary construction.
--
Bill

----cut----

Mine vents up into the upper cabinet and then through the wall inside the upper cabinet. Less than 24 inches total.
Check the directions for the maximum length of exhaust for you unit.
Flex is out, not approved for kitchen exhaust. Remember this is fairly low pressure exhaust. Any obstructions/corrugations in the pipe will just collect grease.
I once used a bathroom that had carbon filter. Yikes never worked.
I do not understand why anyone would want to recycle hot/greasy/humid air. Look at the filter, do you really think that it is going to filter much? For that matter the exhaust on mine does not really work except for the rear burners. Makes more noise that anything else.

cabinet,
For
does the filter do much good?

filter).
vent
is
Should I run the venting up into the upper cabinet, then directly into the back wall, up the wall (cut a 3 x 10 slot in the top plate into the attic, then connect it to round pipe up to the roof to a roof vent?
Sound like a good way to do this? Should I just go directly up through the bottom of the upper cupboard, then through the top of the cabinet, then through the ceiling? Will the pipe from the cabinet to the ceiling be visible? (we are putting in crown moulding but not right to the ceiling)... anyone? You would see the pipe wouldn't you?
Howie
Howie wrote:

That is the way it is done in many houses when the cabinet goes to the ceiling. No much room left in the cabinet though. Climb up there and put a can where the pipe would go to see if it would be obvious. How much room between the cabinet top and the ceiling? With crown molding and the pipe near the wall, it would likely not be too noticeable. In any case you put some type of decorative wood around the pipe.
Vented in is completely useless. I really miss having an outside vent.

If you fry foods a lot or create a lot of smoke in cooking, you may prefer the outside vent. But remember, the hood will be taking all of the "conditioned, hot or cool" air out of the house and venting it outside. After the oil embargo of the early '70s, you couldn't get a permit for gas in new construction in some states (Wisconsin for one) if you vented your hood outside. Too wasteful. In addition, the dampers on these things don't stop much cold air from falling into the house from outside. We just switched from a non vented hood to a non vented micro hood. We've been happy not venting but we don't fry much. And it would have been easy for me to vent right out the back through an outside wall. Tom.
Tom wrote:

Didn't know you fried stuff in a microwave and if you get smoke in a microwave you are doing something wrong. Yeah I know there are special dishes for bacon, but still..... I think you must have missed the part about the microwave.
Otherwise I agree, the regular hood for the main range should preferably be a vented.

The venting part of the micro hood is only for removing the smoke of foods cooked on the stove top...I didn't miss the part about the microwave. As the original poster later states, the stove has never been vented so unless he's not been able to live with that, I don't see any reason to need an outside vent, now.

the
about
if
on
would
wall.
unless
That's a good point, we have lived this long with no range hood at all. Maybe a interior venting would be just fine... what do you guys think?

Not a very good point. I lived without sex for about 13 years, but I have no intention of becoming celibate again.
I'd base my decision on how difficult it is to put the vent outside. Mine was fairly easy so I did it. If it was major reconstruction, I'd forgo it. There are time I'm really glad I have it but no, it is not used every day.

I think that having no range hood at all lets a lot of steam and oil go all over into the inside of the house, coating walls, ceilings, carpets, furniture, etc.
I HAVE used a microwave for years without exterior venting, but don't cook in it long enough to make smoke. (Except for the time I set the bag of popcorn on fire.)
I don't like a microwave above a range because that is where all the steam and smoke from the range goes, and it is a short time until the microwave is gunky, even with an exterior vent.
Just MHO, YMMV
Steve

The venting is not for the microwave, it is for the range below it.

Right, but not everyone has the counter space to spare so this is a way to have the microwave and not lose 20" or counter space. Not my first choice either, but it is the only practical choice in my house.
Howie wrote:

Hi, Venting outside is always better. No matter what, you wouldn't want to circulate filtered(?) air in the kitchen. No range hood with vent now? Tony