OT Windows 10

Page 8 of 8
On 2/21/2016 3:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Norton was notorious for using undocumented hooks into products. So, likely to break any time you made some unexpected change (upgrade) to your system.

For a ghost replacement, clonezilla works fine. Or, the partimag, etc. tools contained within. For me, the advantage is that I can examine the code and figure out how to make it do what I want/need "when/if things go wonky". COTS solutions seem to go to great pains not to document ANYTHING either intentionally (security by obscurity) or out of economy (why spend money documenting something that folks shouldn't NEED to understand... and then have to *support* that particular implementation).
[I was a strong advocate of Ventura Publisher (when owned by Xerox). Once Corel purchased it and started obscuring document details (efficiency?), it left me (and my documents) at the mercy of their "latest implementation"; I could no longer go into a raw document and "fix" things that their software couldn't.]
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 09:09:36 -0700, Don Y
I just upgraded an old Atom 270 powered Acer Aspire 1 netbook to Windows 10, and it runs faster than it did on Windows 7. It boots faster too . As long as I don't try to run more than 2 applications at a time it is great. (can't put more than, IIRC, 2gb of RAM in it - which is it's major limiting factor)
What bothers me more than Win10 is the blasted new extended bios (UEFI?) that Microsoft has required all OEMs to implement before being licenced to distribute anything from Win8.0 on.
What a pain that stupidity can be!!!!
On 02/21/2016 02:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That may have been part of Ballmer's war on Linux as anything. Fortunately the Linux distros soon were able to cope with it.
On 2/21/2016 2:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

MS has a vested interest in churning implementations just for the sake of change. Look at how long it took them to "discover" multitasking, user accounts, protection domains, etc.
"Microsoft: bringing 1970's technology to the 21st century!"
Micro == small; soft == limp. Hmmm, I wonder what Bill was thinking when he came up with THAT name??
On 02/21/2016 08:05 PM, Don Y wrote:

Oh, you wanted to connect to anything but a modem? There's this company in Australia called Trumpet run by a guy called Peter Tattam that has this thing called Winsock...
There's hope though. I have 4 desktops on my Linux box at home, 8 at work. I understand Win10 finally does that. How revolutionary! I wouldn't have to paw through Thunderbird, Firefox, DevStudio, SQLServer Management Studio, a few console windows, a couple of RDP sessions, and about 5 gVim instances to find what I want to work on.
On 2/21/2016 10:20 PM, rbowman wrote:

I rely on Winsock for connectivity for my Compaq Portable 386! (with a parallel port network adapter!)

There's been a PowerToy for that for many years, now. I pick different wallpaper for each so I just need to remember what the background was when I was working on <whatever> app. "The 4 Seasons" are a common scheme that I use: if the wallpaper had golden leaves, it was undoubtedly "Fall". Spring, Summer, Fall... so, it will be desktop #3.
I started doing this in the mid 80's on an "Opus Personal Mainframe" (add-in card that let you run SysV on a 286 host -- letting the 286 act solely as an "I/O controller"). It supported 4 "consoles" that you could access with hot-keys. Keeping track of what you were doing on each one got to be tedious. So, I'd set the foreground and background colors (ANSI 3.64 escape codes) for RED, GREEN and BLUE (RGB) with the first being WHITE! "OK, the screen was red so it must be console #2"
I use the same technique with my BSD boxes -- I've got 8 consoles defined (in addition to X sessions) so I color code the foreground and background with suitable termcap(5) entries all inheriting from the "nominal" console termcap.
Where it gets hairy is that I have multiple monitors on most workstations. And, each monitor has a "source select" switch. So, monitor #1 may be connected to output 1 of workstation 1 while monitor #2 is connected to output 2 of workstation 2 and monitor #3 is connected to output 3 of workstation 1. Workstations 1 and 2 may have different wallpaper "themes" so I may see "Summer", "Blue" (assuming the second workstation uses a color theme for workstation differentiation) and "Summer". It takes a while to sort out *what* you are looking at ("Why can't I drag this window from monitor #1 onto monitor #2???") as well as which mouse/keyboard/motion controller/tablet/etc. to use!
Particularly annoying when you're typing away and not *seeing* the text appear at the mouse cursor (of course, there are now TWO mouse cursors -- either, neither, or both may be visible and on different monitors!)... only to discover that you've been typing on the wrong keyboard and have just added a bunch of text to something completely undesired on another (potentially not visible!) monitor/workstation.
I've often wondered how confusing it would be to a casual onlooker...
On 02/21/2016 10:45 PM, Don Y wrote:

I tried that a few years ago. It was okay but had some issues iirc.
On 2/22/2016 8:09 AM, rbowman wrote:

Hmmm... dunno. It's never given me problems.
OTOH, I've been moving to bigger desktops so I don't have to alternate between them as much/frequently.
On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 07:53:49 -0600, Vic Smith

I was reluctant given all the horror stories put out about it but I've got it on three computers now and it seems fine. Didn't even need to do anything special to get the "win7" desktop look.
On 2/20/2016 8:37 AM, Don Y wrote:

Wouldn't homeless teens be better served by building them... wait for it... HOMES???
On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 4:47:28 AM UTC-6, mike wrote:

Intellectuals can't deal with the obvious...
On 02/21/2016 07:34 AM, bob_villain wrote:

+ 100000000000
On 2/21/2016 3:46 AM, mike wrote:

You can often *find* homes for them -- friends, extended family, other charitable programs, etc. But, in most cases, they will leave school before graduation. Then you end up with a "less than productive" member of society.
Last time I checked, "homes" were pretty expensive. For the monies spent keeping ~800 kids in school "for another year", you might be able to build 20 homes (assuming you got the land and labor for free). If you're just interested in *renting* space for them, maybe put 200 of them into "low rent" units?
Then, who's going to heat/cool/electrify/maintain those homes? And, feed them?
And, does having a home keep the kid in school? Or, force him into the workforce so he can pay his utilities, upkeep, etc.?
Of course, if you're willing to donate ~$4M/year, then those 800 kids could stay in school AND have a place to call their own.
That's the problem when you look at a problem superficially; you convince yourself that you've got a solution when, in fact, you've just changed the problem (now you have post-teens wondering how they will be able to afford to live without an education! Simple: just keep the $4M donations coming indefinitely -- for each group of 800 "young people" :> )
On 02/20/2016 09:37 AM, Don Y wrote:

Makes me wonder how long Microsoft WinSpy10 experiment will last. How long will corporate America tolerate Windows 10 spying on them? And is Windows 10 HIPAA compliant?
At least there are Linux distros out there that are HIPAA compliant.
On 2/21/2016 8:17 AM, Foster wrote:

I suspect that is the way things will be, going forward.

Corporate world is a different beast. I.e., you can declare, "by edict", that "Thou shalt use XYZ". You also tend to have some folks on staff whose sole reason for being there is to "make it happen" -- whatever "it" may be!
Also, MS is probably less interested in what happens at work; it's a lot harder to track *who* is doing *what*. And, their motivations for doing so then come into play (is he looking for X as a genuine work-related need? Or, something personal that he's doing on the company's dime?)
Also, most of the "normal computer uses" that happen in a typical workplace can be easily redirected to a small set of applications supplied by a *different* vendor (e.g., FOSS). So, you can standardize your "workstations" (user environment).
Here, I much prefer operating with my applications running on a "server" and my "user interface" (display/keyboard/mouse) being much leaner and more portable. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for Windows apps...
[unless I serve them up over VNC]
Speak of the devil.... I just came across this:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2447177/updategate-windows-10-is-resetting-default-apps-back-to-microsoft-stock
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3032751/microsoft-windows/windows-10-forced-update-kb-3135173-changes-browser-and-other-defaults.html
Yet another forced Win10 update that's making unwanted changes, this time setting default programs to Microsoft versions for many people. And yet another case of Microsoft claiming they didn't actually mean for it to do that. It appears to be the Facebook strategy: Make changes, then backtrack *if necessary*.
On 2/21/2016 7:09 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I suspect that I don't really have a PRACTICAL choice, here.
The XP option has long set sail -- I'm *sure* MS is no longer making XP licenses available (to non-profits or ANYONE!).
And, the normal update cycle of 7even is determinedly moving those boxes to the W10 model. At some point, one can expect 7even to simply *become* W10. Installing a "tuned" version of 7even (selectively NOT installing updates that compromise it) and then locking it down (as I did with XP) will leave those boxes as "vulnerable"/compromised as running XP in 2016 would.
[No desire to manually update individual machines on an ongoing basis. And, not practical to do all the bookkeeping to know which machines need which updates, etc. Nor expecting kids to make their machines available to me -- while expecting me to be finished lickety-split! I'd have to set up an online service to do this (and probably run afoul of MS's legal]
| The XP option has long set sail -- I'm *sure* MS is no longer | making XP licenses available (to non-profits or ANYONE!). |
Not so. I posted a link in my first post in this thread. Of course there are other issues, like the fact that hardware and software support will be ending eventually. But right now one can build an XP box, buy an XP disk, and install nearly anything except Photoshop on it.
| And, the normal update cycle of 7even is determinedly moving | those boxes to the W10 model. At some point, one can expect | 7even to simply *become* W10. Installing a "tuned" version | of 7even (selectively NOT installing updates that compromise | it) and then locking it down (as I did with XP) will leave | those boxes as "vulnerable"/compromised as running XP in 2016 | would. |
I'm running XP. I don't consider it to be especially vulnerable. It's not even being targetted at this point. And nearly all security risks involve the software, not the platform.
On 2/22/2016 6:41 AM, Mayayana wrote:

Those are "previously purchased" (by retailer) licenses. And at retail prices. We pay "a handful of dollars" for a license. Because we get them from MS on a charitable basis.
Of course, some benefactor could buy those licenses for us and underwrite their cost. But, that's not something we can count on. And, why would we want to move all those "donated dollars" into OLD software when those dollars can be used for other things, as well?
[MS might cut us a deal on a license; but they will be less likely to spend those "virtual dollars" to pay for a dentist visit for a student! The monies that a donor willing to buy retail licenses spends could instead serve other needs]

You can buy a (used) Dell box and reuse your Dell XP SP3 install disk. Why bother buying XP? Building a box (and chasing down the drivers, etc.)

I avoid any problems by simply not letting the boxes talk to the outside world. If you can gain physical access to them, then chances are you won't try to HACK them but, rather, simply STEAL them (and conveniently sidestep the security that is present *in* the software).