OT What is this in the electric pole?

Taking a walk and sat down by a wood electric pole, not carrying any electricity, just put on one side of the street to balance the tension from the other direction on the pole on the other side of the street.

About a foot above the ground is a 3" section with 3 things in it, all pointing down, about 30^ from vertical. The top one was a wooden plug about 3/4" in diameter. The next one down was a wooden plug about an inch in diameter. And the bottom one was a metal thing, black, looks like a plug, almost an inch in diam. with a hole for a pretty large torx wrench in the top.

What do you think these things are?

Reply to
micky

pretty hard to tell from the picture.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Possibly, they can load some wood preservative into the core of the pole? I found the plug...but it didn't detail its use.

bob_villa

I found the plug...but it didn't detail its use.

"Treated Wood Plugs There are 22 sizes, lengths and quantities of treated wood plugs available from our large inventory. Poles, Inc.'s famous camouflage colored 5-gallon pails, filled with plugs, can be found in the trucks of contractors all ove r North America. The pails offer an economical and easy to use option for s hipping plugs. Treated wood plugs are treated with either Copper Naphthenat e, CCA, or ACQ. Tight fitting plugs should be placed into all of the inspec tion and treatment holes that are placed into the pole during an inspection . Treated wood plugs are also used to fill abandoned bolt-holes in the abov e ground portion of the pole. Utility companies often move cross arms or re configured wood pole lines during there long service life. Leaving these ho les open can allow for above ground decay or insect attack to develop."

May be it is to inspect for core rot?

Reply to
bob_villa

A section that is 3" or a little more vertically and a little over an inch wide.

I didn't have a camera. Would a sketch help?

| | | O | | O | | O | | |

The I's are the border of the pole. Please pretend all the lines on the right are in a straight line.

Reply to
micky

indicates they are used to plug the holes drilled to inspect and treat utility poles in the field. The 2 wooden ones were most likely the first 2 inspections of the pole before the utility switched to Plastic

Reply to
clare

Wow. You found it! The torx hole is hard to see, but I can see it in the enlargement. What I thought was metal must be shiny plastic.

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Very good job you guys. Thanks

Under Copper Naphthenate: " Our Copper Naphthenate meets the AWPA M-4 specification for field treatment of preserved wood. Copper Naphthenate is also widely used as an internal void treatment in standing utility poles. "

I think the pole also had a "groundline bandage" maybe containing copper hydroxide and borax, like in this brochure, at t he bottom left

You can easily live without looking at this It gives results for various preservatives. The "bandage is at the bottom of the pole, 3" wide black vinyl or something, plus whatever might be underground.

Reply to
micky

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 15:18:44 -0500, micky wrote Re OT What is this in the electric pole?:

No photo, so no answer.

Reply to
Vinny B

concrete electricity pole making machine for kenya reinforced precast concrete poles durable, high intensity, long life span contact: snipped-for-privacy@sdcicq.com call: 0086-15318989657 skype/wechat: daisy99027

Reply to
daisylee658