OT Using PapPal?

Just signed up for PayPal, including giving them CC number. I never got a number or other ID from PayPal. How do I use this thing. Just select PayPal if offered and answer information requests from there, like that CC number?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Another use for PayPal is for the creation of USPS 1st class shipping labels:

The USPS Click-N-Ship site forces users to use Priority Mail, which is more expensive than 1st class for small packages. I think the cheapest price is between $5.50 and $6.

I mail stuff via PayPal for under $3. One downside of PayPal is there doesn't appear to be an address book feature like the USPS has. You have to manually enter the recipient's address every time you create a label.

My small stuff goes through PayPal. Once it's outside the 1st class weight limit, I use USPS Click-N-Ship.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The paypal USPS link was aimed at Ebay customers where everyone's address is on file anyway. I usually look at the computed cost via the Ebay link and then see what I can do. If it is close or the same, I let Ebay do it, otherwise I ship it myself and just update the Ebay page manually. It is usually only a buck or two but I will do a few extra mouse clicks for a buck.

Reply to
gfretwell

Just to be clear, I'm talking about using PayPal ShipNow to create 1st class labels for non-eBay shipping. e.g. I just mailed an EZ-Pass to my daughter at college. I'm often sending small stuff like that to my 4 kids that live is 3 different states.

USPS Click-N-Ship would have cost me $5.80. PayPal Shipping cost me $2.70.

Like you said, a few extra keystrokes (entering her info instead of using the Click-N-Ship address book) is fine if I can save over $3 each time.

Here's something fun...

This guy made a jig to "maximize" the size of a flat rate envelope:

DerbyDad03

i DON'T understand. I only buy from a limited number of places, but still, I've never seen PayPal Shipping, only PayPal paying. Sometimes it barely goes to Paypal, there's a paypal windowlette in the vendors page, but shipping seems to totally depend on the vendor, and to be the same if I pay by paypal or not

I would do that too. Monoprice has shipping as low as $3 and B&H Photo does too.

(Amazon otoh for most things won't tell you the shipping until you check out unless you spend 49, or 25 dollars of books. It's clever of them to get people to gather together 49 dollars of stuff to buy.)

Scanning for viruses now, so I closed FF even though maybe it doesn't speed anyting up.

Reply to
Micky

...snip...

You missed the entire point of my post.

I was not talking about buying something online and having it shipped to me, I was talking about shipping/mailing something *out* to someone else.

e.g. Let's say I want to send you a 6 oz package. I could put 6 USPS Forever stamps on the package and write your name/address on it or I can use PayPal ShipNow to create a bar coded 1st class shipping label that I tape to the package. The cost is automatically covered by my default PayPal payment method.

I get a nice neat label, I get a tracking number and I don't have to worry about having a lot of stamps on hand.

The point of my post was that AFAICT the USPS does not offer 1st class postage online. The USPS Click-N-Ship site only offers Priority Mail services, which are more expensive than 1st class for anything under

13 oz.

I just sent a 5 oz package to my daughter in another state, 300 miles from my house for $2.60. That same 5 oz package would have cost me $5.45 if I used a Flat Rate envelope, over $6 if I used my own packaging via USPS Click-N-Ship. I dropped it in a USPS mailbox late in the afternoon on Saturday and she received it Monday afternoon around 4 PM. That's 2 calendar days, 1 business day. Not bad.

I find it a little sneaky that the USPS doesn't offer 1st class postage via their own website but at least we have a workaround:

DerbyDad03

It makes me sorry I don't ship things.

Reply to
Micky