OT: Thunderbird filters

I've been trying for a while to figure out how to get my tbird filters to mark posts that are cross posted. I finally got it to work! I'm not sure why it wouldn't just work when I set up the filter, but I had to right click on the newsgroup name, select the newsgroup(folder) properties, click the Repair Folder button, and re-download the group posts, and ONLY then did the filter I set up work.

So, now any post that is cross posted is tagged "Crosspost" in light grey and is marked "read".

Anyway, thought I'd mention that it seems Tbird has a bug that won't necessarily respond to this particular filter unless the groups folder is repaired/reset.

Reply to
Muggles

I don't filter crossposting.

If the number of groups is small and relevant, I go ahead and reply if I see fit.

If someone adds several groups that have nothing to do with the question...

I just ignore the whole thing

Reply to
philo

Essentially what I do too. I filter individuals but someone not filtered will show up and I may respond. Posts to a half dozen groups I just k-file.

Reply to
Frank

I've never been able to get it to work before in thunderbird, so I tried again last night and finally got it to work.

My problem was I didn't always see if a post was cross posted and would end up posting to groups I'm not subbed to, or interested in posting to, for that matter. Now, all posts that are cross posted are marked with a tag and color change. I still see them, just now I know they're cross posted, and don't have to depend on noticing multiple groups in the list.

Reply to
Muggles

On 05/06/2016 09:44 AM, Muggles wrote: I don't filter crossposting.

When you go to reply, all the groups being posted to should be listed.

Sometimes I do reply but just remove the extraneous groups.

If it's one I'm not subscribed to , Thunderbird seems to dis-allow it

Reply to
philo

I know, but I don't usually look at the listing, and just type a response and hit send before I think to look if it's cross posted or not.

Yeah, I do that, too, sometimes.

Tbird doesn't do that for me. It's kind of inconsistent, I think.

Reply to
Muggles