OT SUV must have hard top??

U-haul says for ttrailer rental:
Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV or Jeep. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
How come?

Because driving without a hard top is a proven symptom of insanity, and U-Haul's insurance company won't let them rent to the insane.

I guess the cheap trailer might come forward and injure passengers if a crash or sudden stop. But, I guess I would be allowed to trailer with my Datsun 1600 Roadster convertible.I don't even have a soft top.
greg

That may be it, but I wonder what their verbal explanation wuld be. If I go there, I'll ask.

You're right. My car has a soft top, but if it's over 55 out, it's usually down.

Maybe they want to avoid being sued in the event of an accident where the trailer gets smashed into the vehicle and mushes somebody?
Just a guess.
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:57:03 +0000 (UTC), ShadowTek

More likely in case the trailer starts to swing and flips the whole rig - SUV's being generally higher than cars, more likely to flip.
On 2/3/2011 5:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And I think we have a winner here. Most SUVs of the traditional sort have such a high CG and short wheelbase, that 'tail wagging the dog' is pretty common for experienced tow drivers, much less clueless newbies making their first long-haul pull.
--
aem sends...

On 2/3/2011 10:39 AM, mm wrote:

I can't figure that one out, guessing its for some kind of liability. They build their own trailers, and when they are old, they used to sell them. Now they are never sold, always cut up for scrap.
mm wrote:

Hmmm, Have ever seen an accident towed vehicle came on top of towing one when hitch unhooked during accident? Or have seen a runaway trailer running ahead of towing vehicle?

increased risk of rollover, likely.
U-Haul is trying to cover their a$$... keep in mind that they're renting shitty trailers (note that most have a max speed of 45 MPH - a way for them to weasel out of liability because who can drive 45 MPH on a highway without getting run over?) to for the most part drivers inexperienced with towing... yeah, some of them are gonna wreck.
nate

I guess so.

Actually, they say not to go over 55.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:35:23 -0800, "Bill"

That might be their reason all right.
I'd better not tell them about my car, a convertible. When the top is down, the only thing that holds the front to the back is the floor. It has some reinforcment that a Chrysler LeBaron sedan doesn't have, but nonetheless, when I had a cargo carrier in the class A trailer hitch, and I put on 8 pieces of damp sod, I coudln't shut the door because the car was bending.
?

Many years ago I had a rusty '64 Karmann Ghia. I could hold the top of the windshield frame and make the headlights move up and down.
[U-haul won't rent a trailer to an SUV without a top! Maybe because the SUV is too flimsy to stop a trailer it is towing without folding in the middle? ]
On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:39:00 -0500, "Ed" <> wrote:

I'll have to try that, but I don't think I could do it with the doors shut.
wrote

I wanted a Karmann Ghia for my very first car. My parents wouldn't allow me to buy it. They said it was too dangerous. I guess because it was so low to the ground. boo hoo . I miss having the car I never bought.