OT Store Christmas windows

Page 1 of 2
When I was a little kid, back in the late 30s and early 40s in Chicago, my parents would take me downtown to the Loop shopping district and we'd look at all the extra-carefully elaborately decorated fascinating store windows. A high point in my Christmas season!
Now, in these days of shopping malls and the like, I wonder if any stores in any cities still do this? And if they do, if families still go to see them? There is nothing like this in my small city.
On 12/14/2015 11:20 AM, KenK wrote:

Sure was cold and windy in Chicago though. Memories!!!!!
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 11:20:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Just do a Google Image search for 2015 Holiday Windows and browse to your heart's content.
For me, it was the annual trip to Radio City Music Hall for the Christmas Spectacular featuring The Rockettes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glwWEdxGgjs

Man, there were a lot of legs!
On 12/14/2015 02:09 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yup, though I remember almost succumbing to exposure waiting in line to get in one year.
"Wintertime in New York town The wind blowing snow around Walk around with nowhere to go Somebody could freeze right to the bone I froze right to the bone New York Times said it was the coldest winter in seventeen years I didn’t feel so cold then"
'Talkin' New York' Bob Dylan
The best part was the street vendors with the roasted chestnuts.

Has anyone on here actually ever eaten roasted chestnuts? I never have! Never seen them in the stores.
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 20:46:58 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Yes.

Me neither, but I don't look much.
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 9:50:26 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Yes. Hundreds of times.
AFAIK they don't sell *roasted* chestnuts in the stores. You buy raw chestnuts and roast them yourself.
http://startcooking.com/how-to-roast-chestnuts
We'll be doing that at Grandma's house next week.
On 12/15/2015 04:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've always used the boiling method at home and skipped the roasting part.
On 12/14/2015 07:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Certainly. The street vendors used 55 gallon drums, would build a fire in it, and roast them. I forget how much they were but it wasn't too much and you'd get a brown paper bag fun of chestnuts.
all I've ever seen in the stores are raw chestnuts. I often get them but I boil them rather than roast them. I think even if you roast them you parboil them first. Cut an X in them before boiling so you can peel them.
The quality in the stores has been variable. Sometimes they will have green mold when you peel them but you can't tell looking at them in the shell.
On 12/14/2015 7:32 PM, rbowman wrote:

And the hands that didn't look like they'd seen water -- OR SOAP -- in millennia!
On 12/14/2015 09:13 PM, Don Y wrote:

In that era if somebody put on little plastic gloves to handle your food you'd think they were some sort of nut. Maybe I've been lucky but I've eaten street food in Mexico, including raw clam cocktails, without bad effects.
A couple of times I've eaten meals at restaurants that have had purgative effects within the hour. That really made me wonder about what they fed me.
On 12/15/2015 9:21 AM, rbowman wrote:

I thought Mexico was pretty near purgatory?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/15/2015 10:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2012-10-22/latino-mormons-lds-churchs-fastest-growing-group
http://www.chron.com/life/houston-belief/article/On-a-mission-Mormons-reach-out-to-Hispanics-1694354.php
I keep telling you. stop picking on the the fastest growing LDS segment. I particularly like the second link. Four men in white shirts and ties quadruple teaming a ten year old Meskin.
On 12/15/2015 10:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

expecting a basketball and a couple hoops. Ah, well. Chatting with people is good, too.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/17/2015 12:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wrong demographic. You need football for that target population and not the kind with pointy ends.
Other than Gladys Knight the LDS church never did too well with US blacks. It works better in Africa when the you don't tell the potential converts that polygamy is out these days.
On 12/17/2015 9:53 AM, rbowman wrote:

Non pointy ended football? That seems kind of black and white, to me. But, that's your kick, enroute to your goal.
I'm not sure about the demographics. After working in the clerk office for ten years, I've never seen any racial record keeping at least in the ward or branch office. Maybe someone does some kind of demographic, to try and figure out percent Black, Asian, etc.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/17/2015 08:42 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

RACE-ETHNICITY. Ethnic minorities are underrepresented in many LDS congregations. In the United States, where about 77 percent of the population were non-Hispanic whites in 1980, 95 percent of the LDS population were non-Hispanic whites. About 12 percent of the U.S. population and only 0.4 percent of the LDS population were black (see Blacks). Hispanics and Asians constituted about 8 percent of the U.S. population and less than 3 percent of the LDS population. American Indians (see Native Americans) had a higher percentage in the LDS Church (1.1 percent) than in the U.S. population (0.6 percent).
The spread of the Church in Asia, the South Pacific, and Africa signals an increasingly diverse ethnic membership. Straight-line growth projections discussed above suggest the possibility of a Hispanic majority by 2010. In any event, international expansion implies a decline in the dominance of white North Americans.
http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/files/2011/12/Mormons2008.pdf
The Trinity statistics do not substantially disagree with BYU's but I'd take Trinity's as a bit more accurate when it comes to growth rates and percent of the US population. Any organization tends to err on the high side when it comes to membership and growth figures.
On 12/17/2015 11:08 PM, rbowman wrote:

I figure the people who want to be LDS can and will. Can't get at all concerned about ethnicity, and so on. I'm not affirmative action.
But, anyhow. Thanks for looking up those stats and all. I guess it is of concern to you?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/19/2015 08:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Only in general. Religions have always fascinated me. How are they started? How do they grow? Why do people convert, particularly from one flavor of X to another.
The LDS church is an interesting example. It's new (relatively speaking) and introduced many theological novelties into a Christian framework. Other experiments from that era didn't last but Mormonism prospered. The growth patterns and demographics are well documented compared to the early history of the Christian church.
For example, an early target group were the Scandinavians.
http://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Scandinavia,_the_Church_in
Why?
"Since 1852, many Scandinavian members have emigrated to the United States. Particularly in the nineteenth century, poverty, starvation, persecution, and hopelessness motivated people to seek a better life and, for Latter-day Saints, the spirit of gathering to the "Promised Land" in Utah was strong. There they could enjoy religious freedom and practice their religion without ridicule or harassment."
It must have been pretty bleak that being dropped in Iowa City, building a handcart, and hitting the road after being told 'Utah is that-a-way' looked good.
Forward to today, perhaps the Hispanics are motivated by the same problems. But why LDS? What's wrong with Catholicism, a more traditional religion? Africa? Same conditions, but where are the Methodists etc?
US African-Americans? They don't seem interested and are more likely to look toward Islam. Is that because of historical reasons?
On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 9:19:45 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

I couldn't possibly come close to estimating the hundreds upon hundreds of dirty water dogs I ate while growing up in NYC.
With mustard and that fabulous red onion sauce, of course.