OT - RAM bump up

Page 2 of 3

I wonder if anyone has looked into the security issues of the various browsers. There have been many patched over the years by MSFT to IE to fix security issues. Who, if anyone is looking at those issues for the variety of other browsers, some of which are open source, which you would think would make them more vulnerable. And also, I'd wonder how well they work with anti-virus and similar protection software. Like I'm sure Norton, McAfee, etc make sure their products do a good job of working with and protecting you when using IE, but how about some third tier browser?

Windows XP.
Steve
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:02:00 -0800, "Steve B"

Win XP was the most dangerous OS allowed for home use. Truly meant for corporate work. Home users did not know about open ports or firewalls.
Installed out of the box and all the service ports were open. MS would have "done good" if they allowed the users to allow open ports at will. XP was really meant for corporate. Meant for networking, when the home users just needs a "locked down box".
On 3/7/2010 4:20 PM, Oren wrote:

You are really going to like Firefox much better.
On 03/08/2010 08:46 PM, zimpzampzormp wrote:

IE6? Is that even still supported?
I use IE6 at work, mostly because of some old legacy intranet stuff that won't run on anything else. (whose brilliant idea was THAT? I don't wanna know.) It's PAINFUL to use compared to Firefox, esp. 3.x
this sounds stupid but the one thing that I love with 3.x compared to 2.x is that now when I open a new "window" (actually a tab) from a tab I already have open, but have other tabs already open in the same window, the new one appears next to its parent, not all the way to the right as it did in 2.x - sometimes it's the little things that really make a big difference.
IE6 didn't even HAVE tabs...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not on Youtube after the 13th on this month. After 10 years I have to change my browser.
I could not move from IE6, to IE7 or IE8. At least in Win2K Pro. XP might have worked for an IE upgrade. to 7 or 8 ?
Firefox - done me good! Spent an hour installing v.3.6, getting what I needed for the changes.
I feel like I own a new chicken with hen's teeth. Or should I say frog hairs?

So, everyone. Give me the short answers on why Firefox is better than IE8. I'm always interested in a better mouse trap. It brings in a better class of mice.
Steve

IE uses ActiveX, Firefox does not.

XP: I tried IE7 when it first came out..hadalot of conflicts with onboard programs and hadn't added SP3 at that time. Uninstalled and went back to IE6. Got the same POPUP from UTUBE and others recently about IE6 being unsupported soon.
Bit the bullet DL and Installed IE8..painless and I like it..first MS upgrade I've liked.
Nate Nagel wrote:

No. MS has officially dropped support for the product and many internet sites are ripping out the code that made their sites work with IE6.

How much RAM did you have to start with?
Jimmie
reply: I went from 512 mb to 2 GB. Internet Explorer 8 right now sets 512 as "Minimum." With all the Flash and stuff, it takes a lot of memory to just open pages. Ebay is one that changed tremendously over the years. If you have anything else open, it is s-l-o-w! I can't believe the difference. $60 is what it cost after $20 rebate. Takes two minutes to change.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

More RAM is always THE first idea for slow machines (after a malware scan)

Remember this quote?
"Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM. (Bill Gates, 1983)"
A certified MS instructor told me years ago - "Two things Windows loves is more RAM and more hard drive space."
I have 2GB on Win2K and another 2GB ready for when I move to Win7 (64).

I use Comodo and AdAware. They do good.
Steve
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:52:19 -0800, "Steve B"

I'm sorry, this message is OFF TOPIC. This post has nothing to do with Home Repair. You have been suspended from this newsgroup for a period of 30 days, during which time you can not post to this newsgroup. Any attempt to post to this newsgroup during your suspension period, and/or if you post another off topic post following your 30 day suspension, you will be banned from all newsgroups for a minimum period of five years, but not to exceed twenty five years. The ban period will be decided in a virtual court and the decision of the judge will be posted to the alt.legal newsgroup.
Usenet System Administrator
On 3/7/2010 4:15 PM snipped-for-privacy@usenet.com spake thus:

[boom-TISH!]

- a Usenet "apology"

Buhbye.
<lame joke snipped>
posting from giganews. Now that's funny!
snipped-for-privacy@usenet.com wrote:

Uh, Admin old buddy, homes are full of computers these days. Homes have garages with cars and trucks. Homes have pets, children and crotchety old farts. There are also homes out there with preverts, blowup dolls and nekid people so how could anything be off topic?
TDD
On 3/7/2010 8:13 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

It was a, was, a, a joke, son.

- a Usenet "apology"