OT: Question About Revolver Barrels

Per pound. Weaker, but stronger per pound.
Someone said:

Per pound. Surface area doesn't make things stronger. Removing meterial makes things weaker, but leaving the remaining material arranged in certain ways makes the decrease in strength less than other ways.

Oooo, oooo. My turn, my turn! "I used to have a scooter too".
Does that help? Sorry, OP. Just playing around because this is all getting kind of funny.

I'll assume that's decoration, as old revolvers had smooth magazines and existing revolvers have smooth magazines as well - not all of course. It may have originally had something to do with the way the action works but unless you see wear in those grooves I'd doubt that.