OT: Question About Revolver Barrels

So far, your reply best matches what I've been taught. However,...

My S&W Airweight is a five shot, .38., and my S&W .357 in stainless steel both have fluted cylinders. Of course, there are far more powerful handgun calibers.

I realize the fluting geometry differs between barrels and cylinders; but, if fluting makes a barrel more rigid, wouldn't it also make a cylinder stronger?

Fluted barrels dissipate heat better, by virtue of increased surface area. That's a great benefit, but I don't understand the logic of making a barrel lighter.

My AR-10T, .308, is very heavy, but I consider that a major plus.

________________________ A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

Oooo, oooo. My turn, my turn! "I used to have a scooter too".

Does that help? Sorry, OP. Just playing around because this is all getting kind of funny.

Reply to
C & E

I'll assume that's decoration, as old revolvers had smooth magazines and existing revolvers have smooth magazines as well - not all of course. It may have originally had something to do with the way the action works but unless you see wear in those grooves I'd doubt that.

Reply to
Eigenvector