OT -- pure gas

Page 1 of 3
http://pure-gas.org /
Myself, and aparently many others. Find that the new "10% ethanol" motor fuel gives about 15% less fuel mileage. I don't see a lot of advantage to planting, harvesting and distilling to make a fuel that provides less mileage. Wish I knew where to buy the old style gasoline. Well, now, here is a list of stations that provide the old style gasoline.
Now, you can know, also.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I was excited for a second. My state (CT and MA) is not listed and not allowed to sell pure gas in winter.
On 11/3/2010 5:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

None in my area and I know why. My buddy has a liquid fuels business and he said the government is pulling more money out of our pockets to subsidize ethanol so the wholesale price of ethanol blended gas is now quite a bit lower than "pure gas". There were two nearby stations that sold only "pure gas" who recently converted to ethanol because they couldn't compete with the subsidized product.
Yes, that sounds like the USA that we now inhabit. The government forces the market to do this or that, using taxpayer dollars against our will. If we wanted gasohol, we'd buy it. Now, there is only one station listed that is any where near enough to me to be practical to drive there. And that station, I'm only near there every couple weeks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
George wrote: ...

The tax credit isn't different than it's been for nearly 10 years now...$0.50/gal _to_the_conventional_distributors_ (not the ethanol producers) to aid in the development of infrastructure for distribution.
N.B. -- I'm pretty ambivalent regarding it as a continuing policy even though anything that helps generate demand for ag products is _a_good_thing_ (tm) given the ambivalent (at best) support by current administration on trade agreements to keep existing export markets. As in most things, when look at the overall picture things are more complicated than one may think on the surface...
On 11/3/2010 4:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Check with some of the gas stations in your area. The gov't usually issues a waiver for stations on request if they want to provide one pump supplying ethanol-free gas for vehicles that need it: collector cars, boat and certain other engines. Technically, you're not supposed to fill an ordinary car with that fuel, but the kids running the register inside the station probably aren't gonna give a rat's patootie if you do. At least, that's been my experience.
Iowa allows stations to offer both ethanol-free and ethanol-adulterated gas. The ethanol-free fuel consistently run several cents a gallon _cheaper_ than the ethanol-added gas. And I get at least 10% better mileage on ethanol-free fuel, too. So considering the lower price and better mileage of pure gasoline, it's quite apparent that the only people benefiting financially from ethanol-adulterated gasoline are the agribusiness lobby.

And there are places in Florida that have really big billboards telling you that they have ethanol-free fuel.

Ethanol-less fuel in Iowa is typical 10-15 HIGHER than ethanol blended fuel. Blended has been subsidized and available for nearly 25 years here. At first it was only 2 -3 cheaper now much more. After communting 120 miles/day for years, and carefully monitoring my mpg, I say the 'winter formula' with 'enhanced cold weather starting properties' did more to hurt mpg than anything else. Every fall mileage would drop until spring.
--
Steve
southiowa

Even if the fuel formulation did not change, winter driving in Iowa will burn more gas than summer driving. As it does in Ontario - particularly if there is any short distance driving involved. The intake air temperature sensor has a pretty high control over fuel mixture, as does the coolant temp sensor. Cold tires have a higher rolling resistance (they are stiffer) and cold gear oils etc also take more power.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

Tires are only stiffer until they are moving, then friction and flexing warms them up. Remember nylon ply tires? They thumped on the flat spots for the first few thousand feet until they heated up.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 11/4/2010 5:16 AM, Steve.IA wrote:

It's cheaper than ethanol-blended gas in northeastern Iowa - Postville, Decorah, McGregor - that area. At least it is every time I buy it.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Got an FBO (Fixed Base Operator) near you? Buy 100 Octane aviation gas and you're good to go.
On 11/3/2010 7:29 AM, HeyBub wrote:

And poison your catalytic converter..
And your great information could cost someone a grand if they didn't realize you just like to screw with people...
George wrote:

You're right. My mistake. Avgas contains lead which is not good for catalytic convertors.
My experience was back in the day - before catalytic convertors.

Before cat converters was also WELL before ethanol blended gasoline.
On 11/3/2010 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Give him a break, it has only been what 35 years since catalytic converters were fitted on cars to meet newer emissions requirements...
On 11/3/2010 6:29 AM, HeyBub wrote:

yes and in addition to screwing up your CAT, you can also be nailed for not paying road tax.
--
Steve Barker

Except non pilot/non plane owners can't legally buy it, and it has more lead than the highest lead motor fuel EVER had (by a multiple of something like 10) which will kill your oxygen sensors ant catalytic converters in short order, and lead foul your plugs and valves as well.
I use shell ultra up here in my snowblower and mower because up here it has no hooch in it. I occaisionally use 100LL drained from one of the planes (after long storage, or if it has accumulated too much water, etc) in the snow blower.
On Nov 3, 1:51am, "Stormin Mormon"

Winter is comming, alcohol absorbes water that used to sometimes freeze a bad batch of gas when it was below zero, I dont worry about that now. I dont know if its fuel injectors that help but freezing isnt an issue like it used to be.
On 11/3/2010 8:48 AM, ransley wrote:

Other than ethanol blend I think the major reason is that all modern vehicles constantly recirculate the fuel whenever running so it keeps whatever water that may be present in suspension.