OT Plane Crash because of Birds

Nah. In order to be used, they have to mil-spec chickens (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

At Pratt we had a steam powered catapult "chicken gun" which

I believe the do now. Back in the 50's it was as easy to get a live chicken as a plucked and cleaned one. The live chicken is closer to a real bird strike than a cleaned one, however, I doubt that the missing viscera and feathers affects the effects on the engine.

BTW there is a "spec" chicken. IIRC the spec says that the chicken must be thoroughly thawed, it must hit the engine inlet at or above a certain velocity, and it must be heavier than a stated minimum weight.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson