OT: ODBII PC scanners

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 12:16:05 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

When they first put computers in cars I thought I needed the computer interface to work on it but after 30 years of owning these things, they simply do not fail often enough to justify it and most auto parts stores with scan out your codes for free,
The reality is, cars, compared to the ones I grew up with, are basically maintenance free. You change the oil a couple times a year, replace the tires and throw a battery at them every 5 years or so. They just run and run. You still have brakes and accessories but you don't need a computer for that (once they stopped using that lousy Bosch ABS system GM used in the 80s).
Add pictures here
✖

Ain't that the truth!! I LMAO when somebody pines for the cars of the 60's & 70's. They were total crap compared to what they build these days.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 23, 2:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You're thinking OBDI. You can't clear OBDII this way.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah I'm old
Add pictures here
✖
Jeff Thies wrote:

Here's one for $60 that can also erase trouble codes.
http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-obdii-code-reader-with-multilingual-menu-98568.html
Even an El Cheapo VERY basic reader can clear code.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/23/2011 5:41 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Also doesn't show live data. Otherwise tempting.
Looking at this ($49):
http://www.obdpros.com/product_info.php?products_id 8
Firmware not upgradeable, but... would that happen? It's a few years old now.
Tony, which one do you have? What software?
Jeff
Add pictures here
✖
Jeff Thies wrote:

Autoenginuity seems to be the best value PC based scanner that displays live data and has some test / actuation capabilities as well. I have it with the extended Ford coverage to get more data from my diesel truck and it works acceptably for me.
Add pictures here
✖