OT: Newsgroup reader

Page 2 of 3

The OP said he is running Windows 8.
On 3/9/2013 11:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

TB runs on Win 8 and is constantly updated which can be a problem for a paid reader or any paid software for that matter.
I use TB for mail and newsreader but previously was using paid Eudora for email but it would not handle email well on Vista and now defunct there were no cures for problems.
Not sure how Mozilla gets its support but besides donors there is the ad potential.
Might mention that news.mozilla.org is full of product discussion with a lot of their contributors discussing issues and guide to solving specific problems.
On 3/9/2013 12:06 PM, Frank wrote:

I use TB too. With its various mostly free add-ons for calendar management and Contacts management, it gives much of the power of Outlook.
One paid add-on that I particularly like is BirdieSync. It automatically syncs your contact list and calendar on your smartphone with those in TB, whenever you plug your smartphone into your computer.
--
Steven L.

I too use TB. My response was not related to TB. It was related to this:
"...give xananews a try. It's a 2006 creation, but runs on Win XP and Win 7..."
On 3/9/2013 11:36 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It might very well run on Win8. I have no Win8 platform available to try it. However, softpedia shows that xananews 1.19.1.320 is compatible with all versions of Windows. That listing was updated as of Feb 11, 2013. See: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/News-Newsgroups-Blog-Tools/XanaNews.shtml
On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 16:36:19 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

And he has our condolences. :-)
Peter wrote:

XanaNews 1.19.1.320 April 5th, 2011
Meanie wrote:

Windows Mail, which comes with Win8, can handle NNTP newsgroups.

But how well? Windows Live is OK for reading, but sucks when you want to reply. It does not mark the quoted text like a real news reader or the older versions of OE.
HeyBub wrote:

WinMail came integrated with Vista, not Win7 or Win8.
Win Live Mail which can be installed in Win8 should not be used in its current version or default configuration for nntp because of unacceptable quote level handling.
Older WLM versions or modifications can be used to enable WLM to handle quote levels acceptably. Win 7 is pretty easily hacked to use WinMail and so can Win8 be.
For those who cherish OE, hacked WinMail is the closest thing to it for Win7 and Win8.
--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter wrote:

Longer discussion of Win8 + WinMail http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/34582-How-to-install-Windows-Mail-on-Windows-8 How to install Windows Mail on Windows 8.
More terse http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/3698-how-use-winmail-windows-8-a.html How to use Winmail on Windows 8.
--
Mike Easter

Here's a list with links: http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html
nb

NewsXpress was my reader of choice, just a few years back. Very basic, but did not save posts. Before that, it was unix Pine, terminal program.
Greg

XNews - free and simple.

This is like saying what's your favorite car. I haven't tried a lot of newsreaders so I can't speak from preference but I've used Forte Agent which is pretty good and often I read others like Thunderbird. I have no experience with Thunderbird.
Meanie wrote:

I suggest Xananews. http://xananews.techtips.com.br/
It will be the most familiar interface coming from OE and it is very powerful. Oh, it's free too.

Page not available(full install exe)
Sjouke Burry wrote:

At the very top of the page click on Source Download.
On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:09:05 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Source code won't do him much good unless he has the compiler and knows how to use it.
Fortunately, the binary download seems to be working, or at least worked when I just tried it.
On 3/8/2013 9:59 PM, Meanie wrote:

getting used to. One thing so far I dislike is the group isn't marked as read when I exit. I have to manually mark the group as read. The other thing I don't like is the automatic expansion of a topic when I open a group. Ok, that was two items, but that's it thus far.
Perhaps I'll try a few before a final decision.