(OT) Must I allow political calls on my phone?

Page 1 of 2
My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. That has stopped most of the phone spam. However, I know that the DNC list does not block political calls. With election time getting close, I'm getting more of these. I dont want them. Particularly those that want my opinion about candidates. This annoys me to no end.
1. I hate politics, and want no part of any of it. It's bad enough seeing all the TV commercials that make every candidate look bad. I wont vote for any *major party* candidate for any reason.
2. My choice of candidate is no one's business except my own, and I refuse to tell anyone other than family members who I choose.
3. They are flooding my answering machine with this garbage, which is causing me to lose important calls when the machine gets filled.
My phone is PRIVATE, and I dont want *anyone* calling it except persons to whom I give my phone number.
Must I allow political calls on my phone, or is there some way to stop them?
Until I do find a way to stop them, I will continue to be as rude and nasty as I can to those who do call. Doing that just makes me hope they get the message that I dont want them calling me.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When I have the time AND feel like it I engage them and tell them politely not to call again. Same thing with chritable or "charitable" organizations. Sometimes I do feed them my ultraleftist <grin> viewpoints ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 9/11/2012 11:44 AM, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

At least we only get the political calls during campaign season. We get the home remodelers/new roof/new windows/new kitchen phone calls ALL THE TIME. All small local companies perfectly willing to violate the DNC in hopes of finding some business.
After a hailstorm last year, we had roofing company salespeople all over the neighborhood badgering people to let them go up on their roofs to look for hail damage. I had to practically order one of them off my property. He was bound and determined to set up his ladder and get on my roof, 'cause he was so convinced he knew better than me.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 11, 12:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

Your emphasis on "major party" implies that you will vote for a minor party candidate. If that's true, then you do indeed want some part of politics.
You can't have it both ways.

Yet you just told all of us who you would *not* vote for, so you have indeed made it somebody else's business.
You can't have it both ways.
Add pictures here
βœ–
My guess, is that the people who wrote the "anti obnoxious calls" laws, exempted themselves. Being rude will probably not reduce the calls. But, worth trying.
[...]
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You guessed wrong.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

Let the phone ring. Most robo callers hang up by the 4th ring. By the second ring my caller ID on the TV has identified them anyway. Sometimes I just pick up and hang up.
I often wondered if the robo dialer was smart enough to hear a fax machine and remove the number from the list. Sending an unsolicited fax is a federal crime so I doubt they would do that.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Oren wrote:

The penalty for an unsolicited fax is a fine (up to $1500) only. Jail time is not possible. Further, the judgment is levied by your local Justice of the Peace.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not for you, but I think they can put your fax machine in jail.

Add pictures here
βœ–

What about sending an unsolicited fishy fax to a bear?
Add pictures here
βœ–
Oren wrote:

Nope.
47 U.S.C. Section 227
"(3) Private Right of Action. A person or entity may, if otherwise permitted by the laws or rules of court of a State, bring in an appropriate court of that State - (A) an action based on a violation of this subsection or the regulations prescribed under this subsection to enjoin such violation, (B) an action to recover for actual monetary loss from such a violation, or to receive $500 in damages for each such violation, whichever is greater, or (C) both such actions.
If the court finds that the defendant willfully or knowingly violated this subsection or the regulations prescribed under this subsection, the court may, in its discretion, increase the amount of the award to an amount equal to not more than 3 times the amount available under subparagraph (B) of this paragraph."
http://www.keytlaw.com/faxes/47usc227.htm
"Under the [Telephone Consumer Protection Act], recipients of unsolicited fax advertisements can file suit in state court to collect the greater of $500 or actual damages for each violation, and/or obtain an injunction (a single junk fax can, and often does, contain multiple violations). If a court determines that the violations were willful or knowing, the damages can be tripled at the discretion of the court." http://www.junkfaxes.org/federal_law.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
Oren wrote:

A. A Justice of the Peace is a court. They can issue fines and, in some cases, jail.
B. To get into a state district court, the amount at issue must exceed some reasonable value. In my state it is $2000. (The amount must exceed $10,000 to bring a suit in a federal court.) Things may differ where you are; you can always call the clerk of your local justice court and ask.
C. I've collected $750 in the Justice Court for unsolicited faxes (three times at $250), plus reimbursement for filing fees.
But I haven't gotten an unsolicited fax in like forever. I think the scum-suckers have a background information network.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:34:08 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Before the do not call list, there was a tone you could record on your phone machine that I believe told the robocall computer to erase you. First they sold this tone, but then it appeared on the web, and I was going to put it on my phone machine but the DNC list appeared.
I'm sure it's still on the web, and I think that I read it works.

Good point. Well, except they woudln't be sending a fax, just talking to the fax maachine.
Still, that tone might have been the fax machine tone.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/11/2012 11:47 PM, micky wrote:

You can call a disconnected number and record the SIT tones "Special Information Tones" that precede the voice announcement that the number is disconnected or no longer in service. Record the SIT tones and use them as the start of your answering machine message. Predictive dialer systems will drop your number from their dialing database when encountering SIT tones. ^_^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_dialer
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 01:07:17 -0500, The Daring Dufas

So those tones are not just nationally standardized but internationally.

" The FCC requires that predictive dialers abandon less than 3% of answered calls.[2]" I'm not sure that does me much good. My complaint is not that when I answer they are not there, but that they called me at all. (I'm currently geting calls about once a month from 2 junk callers, who ignore the law. AFAIK I have no relationship with them and I've told them to put me on the DNCall list)
http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/policy/Telemarketing-Rules.pdf

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/14/2012 12:44 AM, micky wrote:

When a telemarketer calls and I feel like amusing myself, I'll answer as a brain damaged immigrant from some indeterminate country and talk bizarre nonsense until they finally hangup, it can be fun. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

In other words, you just act natural. (-:
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/14/2012 9:32 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I naturally torment pests. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

as
So, you're a self-abuser, too? (-:
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9/14/2012 12:13 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I grew out of that, besides, the Irish nuns told me it was a sin. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–