OT Land of the free?

Page 1 of 4
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/9913615/Barack-Obama-has-authority-to-use-drone-strikes-to-kill-Americans-on-US-soil.html
Watch out. He's acomin' to gitcha!

This is one reason the Republicans find themselves on the losing side these days. Some of them, like Rand Paul, have a penchant for going off into lala land over some bizarre, hypothetical. Numb nuts is actually filibustering in the Senate over this.... With many real problems, we need this?
I think Eric Holder is a complete jerk. But on this point he's right. It's not hard to conceive of an extremely remote scenario where you could justify using an armed drone against a US citizen, on US soil. It's extremely unlikely. But under extraordinary circumstances you would think even Rand Paul would understand that it might be justified and necessary.

Hey, I agree. In fact, using a drone isn't different from using a sniper to kill an ex-police officer from LA. You know (I think) whom I refer to. Seems like someone went off his rocker, although he may have had reason for his anger. But it just doesn't justify his deeds.
--
Best regards
Han

Actually, I don't know who and what exactly you're referring to. Dorner? He didn't kill an ex-police officer, nor was he a sniper. And if it's Dorner, I don't see how that compares at all. There was nothing legal about what he did, in any way, shape or form, under any law or rules of engagement.
Seems like someone went off his rocker, although he may have had

Yes that was who I was referring to, but more specifically to the way HE was killed (whether or not he killed himself, he was being hunted without too much chance for "mercy". I am sure that removing him from this earth was a good thing, although it didn't really follow all principles of due process. The same procedures could have been followed with a drone hunting him. And they will be used like that. Whether that will be a good thing is open to debate. Whatever, I don't think that nuts like Dorner have all that many rights. The thing is - why exactly was he fired from his job?
--
Best regards
Han

He was fired for filing a false complaint against his female superior officer. A complaint that wasn't made at the time of the alleged incident, but a couple of weeks later. She apparently had reprimanded him for some other behavior. That was the justification given, but I'll bet there was plenty more. I don't think someone like Dorner just flips out one day. You can see from his ranting, if you've read them, that he's harboring all kinds of resentment going back to when he was a kid. That kind of person isn't what you'd want on the police force and I'll bet there was plenty of other odd behavior that made them want to fire him. His being nuts got him fired. Firing didn't make him nuts.

So it was an epic fail for the LAPD not to make sure he got a) mental health care and b) was without firearms.
--
Best regards
Han

I don't know if he was getting any mental healthcare or not. But if he doesn't want it, last time I checked the LAPD can't force him to get it, unless they can prove he's a danger to himself or others. No one suggested any previous behavior rose to that level, so I don't see how you can blame the LAPD. They did what every other employer would do, they terminated an employee that they didn't want around.
and b) was without firearms.

Last time I checked, the police can't make sure anyone is without firearms, unless they have proof that he is a danger to himself or others, has been convicted of a felony, etc. Again, there was no such indication in this case.

Ah, the conundrum of American law/society!

so exactly what is the definition of "not engaged in combat?" Rand Paul certainly got sucked into giving up big time on that. Timothy McVeigh would have been a legal target

Both Holder and Paul know that the answer today may not be the answer some other day because of "extenuating circumstances". It's political theater and we're paying for very expensive tickets.
Tomsic
On Mar 8, 6:59 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

I suppose anyone nearby would just be "co-lateral damage"
In article

Which is the NRA's take on gun control and the 2nd amendment

none of which changes the fact that the NRA sees the victims of mass shootings as acceptable collateral damage to the 2nd amendment
Oren wrote:

*I* believe the rare mass killings are the price we have to pay for liberty. Indeed these killings are regrettable, but not nearly as bad as the alternatives.

OK so long as it's no-one in your family eh?
harry wrote:

Right. Loyalty to my family ranks slightly above liberty.

And there you have the problem.

Got a link that shows the NRA showing any real compassion for the victims without trying to make gun owners as the victims? Got a link that shows the NRA offering anything more constructive than "enforce existing gun laws better"?

change the conversation. I'd give it about 3.