OT ish Two tone paint

I was watching a movie called "Starred Up" The movie is in a prison in the UK. The walls are painted up to 5 feet (1.5 meters) dark green and then light green to the ceiling.

I had just seen a documentary a few weeks ago where somewhere in Russia they were studding some propaganda films and the walls of the film room were also painted the same way.

Other than just plain aesthetics, would there be a reason for that?

Reply to
Seymore4Head

I heard that that greenish tint is the result of a bunch of odd paints being tossed together by a manufacturer so they could be put to use. The two tone is to avoid monotony.

Reply to
Pico Rico

In a lot of old single screen movie theaters, the inside of the projection booth is painted the same way in the same colors. I was told by an old proj ectionist the reason was the dark green down low would hide the dirt and gr ime from the projectionist's oily hands and handling the projector carbon r ods. The light color green was so the projectionist could see in low light to do his job, but very little light from the projection room would get out into the audience and be an annoyance.

Reply to
KLayton888

Yeah, and if you did it the other way, dark green above light green, people would feel like they were standing on their heads.

Reply to
micky

Dark colors don't show dirt as much as light colors so the portion most likely to get dirty was dark. You also want the room to appear lighter and larger, thus the upper light portion.

You saw this in a Russian film, but it is done world wide even today. Mostly in factories and institutional buildings, but in homes, some rooms often have a chair rail or wainscoting for the same historical reasons.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski