OT Is it an hour later yet?

Page 1 of 2

Months ago, I ran tzedit.exe and set the time to change to DST this weekend, but when I started the computer today, Sunday, it matched my clocks.
I checked the tzedit setting and it said it was to change the second weekend in March, like I set it months ago.
So I ran Atomic Clock Sync and it changed the time by 6 seconds! I just did it again and it says that the time is right and doesn't need changing. It says it's 5:35PM and that it is Standard Time.
The TV news seems to have started early, but I think everyone who says the clocks have changed are playing a trick on me.
Agent will use any time I give it to timestamp my posts, but email always had the correct time, adjusted for DST. Yet today, the email time agrees with my unchanged clocks.
In the past Eudora always displayed the time adjusted for Daylight Saving time. Am I in the Fifth Dimension?
This seems worse than Jan 1, 2000.

I would expect the VCR to have a timezone setting, like the other such (auto-setting) devices (like PCs and DVRs) have.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That's hilarious. This really is worse than Jan 1, 2000, not that it matters.
I"ve checked with my atomic clock program again and still no change. (It's changed a few seconds twice today.) I don't know which atomic clock I am checking, because I only have a list of numeric urls.
So far the only way I can tell what time it is is by watching tv.
OK, http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java says broswer error or firewall stops the time applet http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java/java which url is almost identical has the time an hour ahead of me. http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/timer.pl has the time for every American timezone and is an hour ahead of me.

Maybe vcr's just assume the signal will in most cases originate in the same time zone as the vcr. No vcr I've ever had had a time zone setting, although I've only had two that could set the time.
mm wrote:

Odd. All my "atomic" clocks were set properly when I woke up Sunday.

The XDS standard also specifies a timezone record. Originally I would have guessed that it would be used along with the correct UTC time to set the VCR locally, doing so by assuming the selected channel was local to the user. My observation says the VCR ignores the UTC part and takes whatever time is in the record.
--
Martians drive SUVs! <http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

I have used several of the atomic clock websites, and I am NOT getting Daylight Savings Time. In fact I manually set my clocks one hour ahead, and when I ran the atomic clock sites, it set my clock back to standard time. Did they forget to update them, or what? This is nearly 24 hours after the time change occurred and they are still wrong. I just used the atomic clock site to get my clock accurate to standard time and manually set the time on hour ahead. What a pain in the ass..... It's not the time changing thats the problem, it's these atomic clock sites that are not changing thats irritating me. They should have been updated at precisely 2am when the time was changed.
The program atomic.exe still says that the DST is April 1, 07
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

The atomic clock sites send out an absolute time in UTC (which doesn't do daylight saving changes). Your local computer is responsible for converting to the appropriate timezone.
Chris

Somone called a radio talk show asking how the government generates the extra daylight? can you imagine that:)

That's one of the problems with daylight saving time, some people get the idea that it actually affects time, rather than just being a mind trick. Most TALK that way.
The amount of daylight in a particular area depends on the Earth's axial tilt, which is still way beyond any government's ability to control. You can imagine what would be required to alter that, and in just a PART of the world.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

A government person (EST) called one day wanting to speak with the boss. I explained he was not in at the time. The guy was getting a little "uppity" with me like I was not telling the truth.
Finally, I said; Sir we are on (PST) 8:00AM in your office equates to 5:00 AM in his office.
"Oh" was his response.
-- Oren

And if the time was actually different, one person on the phone would be hearing sounds from the future.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:22:40 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Cool. That sounds great.
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:00:14 -0600, Chris Friesen

The people that control UTC would have an idea of the big mess including DST would cause.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:00:14 -0600, Chris Friesen

Hey, I was having an actual belly laugh from bus's post, until I read yours.
OK, that's a good answer but as I said, I also ran tzedit months ago and changed the DST starting date to the 2nd weekend in March. It still says that but hasnt' changed.
Maybe I just assumed that the data displayed by that program was related to the date displayed in my clock. It could be a dummy program that Microsoft provides to fool the terrorists. Sort of like the Soviets, and probably the Russians before and after them, wouldn't print complete maps of Moscow, to make things harder for invading armies.

No. If I had done that, it wouldn't have blanked out the settings for my actual time zone.

That's the sort of thing I was trying to accomplish by turning off and on the DST adjustment. That's the reason I tried that.
Thanks.
Hmmm. These are some webpages I looked at before I posted. They are specifically for win98 and don't bother to mention this what you said. But I did what they said and it hasn't worked yet.
Hmmm. Now Atomic Clock Sync says I'm on Daylight time, so it's too late to do anymore testing without twice as much effort. Thanks though.
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6618_102-0.html?forumID=6&threadID#7216&messageID $23188
I'm tired. One is enough. :)

Besides the webpage that didn't say this, after I read the above, I found two other webpages that do say to do this.
But even they don't emphasize it like you did. I shouldn't have doubted you. Thanks a lot.
P.S. Deep in tzedit.hlp, it said something similar, but it's no way to write a program. They could have put some text in the tzedit screen to tell you to do this.

Now wait a minute. If you follow the way it was explained to me, Daylight Savings Time works like a bank. In the spring and summer you change the clocks in order to deposit time into a savings account. The government keeps the records about how much time is deposited into the account, so we dont all have to keep record books. Then comes winter, and the clocks are set back. Thats when the time from our time savings account is withdrawn. Everyone knows that winter is always much longer than summer, and seems to drag on forever. This is why. All the time savings from summer are used in the winter, so the winters are longer. That's the reason its called Daylight SAVINGS Time, because it works just the same as a SAVINGS Account. I just wish they would use the savings time in the summer so winter was not so long. But as always, the government always does things back assward.
Jay Rome
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 00:13:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@xxxxxxx.com wrote:

What if I want to set up an off-shore account for my daylight?
What about an off-planet account. I hear there's a lot of daylight on the moon.

OK. I see.

Can you get a Christmas account, where you deposit a little bit of daylight every week, but they don't pay any interest?

Is it true that China and Japan have been buying the daylight, and the US has to pay a lot of interest to get it back?
If I put daylight in my safe deposit box, will it leak out through the cracks?

A friend of mine with Windows XP didn't do anything to change the dates, not with TZEDIT (Time Zone Edit) or any other way, and she said her time still changed correctly. She has Verizon Cable. Do you think Verizon somehow updated her dates for the DST change?
OTOH, I checked again and TZEDIT is supposed to work with win98SE. It's supposed to be included on the CD, although I dl'd a copy.
Also, I decided to turn off the DST change on the TZEDIT screen so I could turn it back on, but when I unchecked the box, it deleted all the dates and times!

Verizon Cable? Strangely, Verizon is the PHONE company here.